Harold Washington College (HWC)
is one of the seven City
Colleges of Chicago. HWC is located in the Chicago Loop and serves
nearly 11,000 students. HWC is a federally designated Hispanic
Serving Institution (HSI) and Minority Serving Institution (MSI)
with more than 70 percent Latinx or Black students. The college
offers an exceptional liberal arts and sciences curriculum and
programs in Business, Early Childhood, Architecture, and Digital
Media. HWC is City Colleges’ Center for Business. The college is
also home to the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program and
is currently the only community college in the city to offer a
business degree accessible entirely online. In addition, the
college has program partnerships with leading industry
organizations such as Aon, Year Up Chicago, DePaul University, and
the Joffrey Ballet.
Reporting to the Dean of Student Services, the Associate Dean of
Advising and Transition Services serves as a member of the Student
Services leadership team, and is responsible for the management,
leadership, and oversight of the college’s academic advising,
career exploration, and transfer services, goals, and
The Associate Dean of Advising and Transition Services implements
strategies and leads efforts in developing and delivering
comprehensive program services to ensure students receive advising
and support services necessary to achieve their educational and
personal/career goals, remove barriers to their success, and assist
them in transferring to a four-year institution. Performs related
duties as required.
- Provides vision and leadership in implementing seamless
advising and transfer processes for new, current, traditional,
non-traditional, and special interest students.
- Creates and manages a strategic plan for the academic advising
and transfer services functions within the Office of Student
- Establishes goals and performance objectives to ensure the
effective coordination of academic advising, transfer services, and
related resources for the support and retention of students.
- Supervises the Assistant Dean – Academic Advising, responsible
for supervising College Advisors and the management oversight of
academic advising programs.
- Supervises the Director of Transfer Services and directs the
planning and delivery of completion/transfer services, ensuring the
availability of resources to support students’ transition to a
- Monitors work activities and motivates staff to achieve
established goals of student engagement and communications to
support efforts to increase student persistence, retention,
degree/certificate completion, and transfer.
- Interviews, recommends for hire, supervises, evaluates
performance and provides professional development for staff in the
Student Services Department.
- Oversees the maintenance of accurate and timely reporting, data
collection and assessment, and preparation of reports.
- Develops and implements new programs and adapts existing
programs for the enhancement and continuous improvement of
advising, early alert, student retention, and completions/transfer
functions and student services.
- Works collaboratively with Student Services leadership in the
assessment of program and services, ensuring performance indicators
relate directly to student learning outcomes.
- Participates in the development and formulation of policies and
procedures that impact student retention and provides support for
overall enrollment growth.
- Directs college’s student retention efforts. Acts as liaison to
district staff in implementing district-wide student development
and retention initiatives. Works collaboratively with college
administrators and faculty on instructional retention efforts to
ensure coordination and consistency with district goals.
- Builds collaborative relationships with college administrators
and faculty across college departments to support a
student-centered approach to academic advising and all areas of
- Directs the development of manuals, guides, and other materials
documenting processes and procedures and necessary for the
efficient and effective administration of student services.
- Assists in overseeing department’s participation in the
college’s registration process to ensure service excellence,
especially during peak registration periods.
- Provides oversight of grand funding activities for student
services. Monitors grant expenditures and ensures proper data
collection and reporting to funding sources.
- Represents the college to community organizations and agencies
and participates on district-wide committees
- Serves as weekend and/or evening administrator for the
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in
student counseling, college student personnel, student development,
career development and planning, or other appropriate degree
- Five years of management supervision and administrative work
experience that includes planning, personnel selection,
supervision, and evaluatiom
- Experience working in a unionized, higher education setting
- Demonstrated leadership in advising, academic support, transfer
services, career services or related area within student
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills in the areas of
collaboration, team building, creative problem-solving, and
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,