Structural Trades II - Roofer
Facilities Management welcomes applications for a Structural Trades II - Roofer! This position will provide journey-level roofing support which includes roof repairs, preventative maintenance, inspections, plans, and drawing reviews, construction inspections, and construction standard reviews. This position will work in conjunction with the other FM trade groups, as well as others to include; project managers, outside consultants, and engineering groups. This position is responsible for the repair, preventive maintenance, replacement, fabrication (metal and wood-based), and inspection of the structural aspects of all of the Campus’ academic buildings. This includes but is not limited to the building envelope, roofs, gutters, downspouts, windows, and all interior aspects of a building. This position is responsible for painting, roofing, carpentry, concrete, masonry, and the fabrication (metal and wood-based) of all structural related components.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Facilities Management (FM) is responsible for the overall physical development and maintenance of the campus. The mission of the department is to provide a safe physical environment that promotes the advancement and transfer of knowledge.
We help create and maintain a physical environment for campus through high-quality, competitive services that have earned us recognition as a national leader in the stewardship of physical facilities.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Roofing Maintenance and Repair:
This position performs roof repairs which include; removing and replacing tiles, shingles, flashing, analyzing built-up roofing systems and single-ply roofing systems to determine locations of roof leaks, and emergency repairs. This position is also responsible for monitoring and maintaining roofing material inventory.
- The position will determine what sequence to follow for the position and non-journey level employees when completing a specific task.
- The position will decide what safety procedures are required for the position and others when completing a given task.
- The position will determine what type of material is required for roofing maintenance and repair to be used by the position and non-journey level employees.
- The position will determine what effect their work will have on those within the building, their workgroup, budgets, and create and prioritize a list of repair and replacement schedules.
- The position will monitor and maintain roofing material inventory for roofing maintenance and repair programs.
This position provides preventive maintenance activities to include periodic maintenance activities, roof inspections (searching for blemish, failure, or fault), inspections with specialized equipment such as an infrared camera, and the use of a capacitance meter as a second non-destructive measure to detect moisture.
- The position will determine what type of preventive maintenance testing should be conducted, and what sequence to follow for the position and non-journey level employees when evaluating and inspecting roofing systems.
- The position will determine what safety procedures are required for the position and non-journey level employees when performing regularly scheduled thermography scans of the roofing system.
- The position will determine what types of materials are needed and where test cuts need to be taken by the position and non-journey level employees.
Annual Major Inspection and Repair Program:
- This position will coordinate the annual major inspection and repair program, operate special equipment such as Versa-lift, forklift, hoist, hi-lift to high elevations for roofing and other trades' work, and will be the journey-level on-site roofer for the program.
- The position will perform an annual inspection and repair program, determine what sequence the inspection and repairs should take place, and will instruct non-journey level employees during the course of the program.
- The position will determine what safety procedures are required for the position and non-journey level employees while performing the annual inspection and repair program.
- The position will determine what repairs and materials are needed based on the results of the annual inspection.
Sheet Metal Work:
This position performs sheet metal work which includes; installing sheet metal flashing, counter flashing, gutter brackets, ice guards, and other fixtures to roofing systems and buildings by designing copying, and fabricating.
- The position will perform sheet metal work, determine what sequence the inspection and repairs should take place, and will instruct non-journey level employees during the course of the repair.
- The position will perform sheet metal work, determine if the work is standard or specialized due to the building’s architecture, and will instruct others during the course of the design, fabrication, and repair.
- This position will use standard trade practices, blueprints, drawing copying, and use the National Roofing Contractors Specification to determine if a specification needs to be fabricated ‘as is or should be adjusted for better performance and aesthetic, for themselves and non-journey level employees.
The position is responsible to provide support for projects; these projects may include small remodel projects, renewal and replacement projects, large capital projects, and other similar projects. This duty may include reviewing project documents (drawings, specifications, component submittals, and requests for information) reviewing outage notification requests, performing outages related to projects, performing quality assurance inspections, attending project walks, performing equipment start-up, and final commissioning of the new project. These inspections are not code-based inspections, however; certain aspects of codes could be reference during the inspection.
Paperwork, Scheduling, and Other Duties as Assigned:
The position is responsible for completing material issuance requests and purchase requests to procure any material needed to support the position's workload. The position is limited to a $1,000 per event purchase at the FM Construction Stores without the approval of their supervisor. The position is provided 15 minutes in the beginning and/or end of each workday to complete their time card, close out work orders, and schedule their work for the following day. Time cards are required to be completed daily. When closing work orders, the position is required to include closing comments and ensure any repair work orders are created. As an essential services employee, the position is responsible to respond to other duties as assigned on an "as needed" basis; this may also include the alternative work schedules and/or responding to after-hours emergencies. The position is required to provide a phone number to the Facilities Operations management team to be used as a means of contact for after-hours calls to ensure the position is able to fulfill the requirements of an essential services employee. With all duties within this PDQ, the employee is required to drive a University vehicle, carry tools, materials, and complete their work.
Actively participates in safety meetings. Follows all safety policies, procedures, and guidelines, as well as adheres to Standing Operating Procedures for assignments and use of equipment. Participates and completes all safety training. Reports potential safety hazards, mistakes, accidents, and/or procedural violations to the supervisor in a timely manner.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $45,300 - $49,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Empowered. Be Successful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Four years of progressively responsible experience in the structural trades appropriate to the work assignment (including carpentry, electrical, painting, locksmithing).
- Four years of roofing experience.
- Substitution: Successful completion of a formalized apprenticeship program or higher-level course work from an accredited, non-correspondence, vocational, or trades school appropriate to the work assignment may substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis. At the agency’s discretion, demonstrated proficiency on position competencies may substitute for the required experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full-time or part-time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
a. Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to Recruiting@Colorado.Edu (mailto:Recruiting@Colorado.Edu) or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by August 5, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder