The NOAA Physical Sciences Laboratory (PSL) seeks to fill a
Research Associate position to develop novel data assimilation
capabilities using new advances in artificial intelligence and
machine learning. Research areas include model emulation, forecast
error covariance estimation, assimilation of high-resolution
satellite data, and enhancement of data assimilation solution
methods. These will all be developed with the targeted goal of
producing a coupled atmosphere-ocean data assimilation capability
for applications such as hurricane forecasts and
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental
Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand
the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the
planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of
Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and
climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric
chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is
to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by
advancing the scientific and societal understanding of the Earth
Physical Sciences Laboratory website:
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
What You Should Know
- Own an original effort in the development of new data
assimilation methodologies that integrate artificial intelligence
and machine learning.
- Perform supportive activities such as software development,
conducting experiments using high-performance computing and cloud
computing, and pre and post-processing of data as needed for
analysis and visualization.
- Participate in regular discussion sessions with
- Publish results in peer-reviewed journals.
What We Can Offer
- This position will be rostered in CIRES at the University of
Colorado Boulder but will be physically situated in the David
Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. If you are
the selected finalist you will be required to pass a federal
laboratory background clearance for site access.
- CIRES can offer a generous compensation package. Salary is
commensurate with education and experience and determined based on
our CIRES internal career track classification.
- The annual hiring salary range for this position is $70,000.00
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be collaborative. Be inclusive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- A relevant Ph.D. degree is required for this role.
- Experience in one or more fields is required: Data
Assimilation, Mathematical Optimization, Atmospheric or Oceanic
Science, Applied Mathematics and Statistics, Computer Science,
Computational Science, Artificial Intelligence / Machine
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with high performance computing and/or cloud
- Knowledge of data assimilation (particularly ensemble and
variational methods), mathematical optimization, or related AI
methods (e.g. advanced applications of recurrent neural networks,
computer vision scene reconstruction).
- Knowledge of dynamical systems or geophysical systems.
- Interest in geophysical AI applications.
- Experience with forecasting in the Geosciences.
- Experience with data processing and data visualization.
- Experience with high-performance computing, including both CPU
and GPU architectures.
- Experience with Python, C++, Fortran, or equivalent high-level
- Experience with deep learning and related software tools such
as Pytorch or Tensorflow.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly
describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific
interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who may be
contacted on your behalf. You don’t need to include letters of
recommendation with your application. If you are selected as a
finalist for this role, we will also use Skillsurvey to check
references. SkillSurvey is an online automated reference check
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified
by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an
approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the
United States, please submit a translated version as an optional
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be
screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Posting Contact Email: