CIRES/ EARTH LAB Forest Disturbance Project Manager PRA
Earth Lab at the University of Colorado Boulder (CU Boulder) seeks a full-time professional research assistant to provide support for a diverse set of projects related to macrosystems ecology and disturbance ecology including analyses of forest structure and carbon storage in western U.S. forests. Responsibilities will include managing, documenting, and publishing new derived data sets; collaborating on data analysis, and assisting with project management and logistics. The research assistant will work with Dr. Jennifer Balch , a leading fire ecologist, and the Director of Earth Lab and the North Central Climate Adaptation Science Center.
The successful candidate will possess an undergraduate or Master's degree in ecology, environmental sciences, geography, or a related field; a high level of attention to detail; and experience analyzing data using R or python. Additional desirable qualifications include experience with database management, familiarity with version control systems (e.g., git and/or Subversion), and collaboration software (e.g., Google docs and sheets, Asana, Slack).
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
Earth Lab is part of CIRES and the CU-Boulder’s Grand Challenge: Our Space, Our Future. Earth Lab’s mission is to harness the data revolution through research, analytics, and education to accelerate understanding of global environmental change to help society better manage and adapt. Earth Lab:
- Capitalizes on the data deluge from space to accelerate global environmental change science;
- Reduces environmental risk and surprise by understanding and predicting slow and abrupt Earth system change; and,
- Trains a new generation of data scientists in Earth analytics.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Integrating satellite, airborne, and field data of multiple disturbances (e.g., fire, drought) and forest responses.
- Analyzing existing and derived data sources.
- Contributing to manuscript writing.
- Drafting project reports.
- Organizing team meetings and collaboration efforts.
- Tracking project milestones and deliverables.
- Coordinating field campaigns.
What You Should Know
- This is a 2-year position with the possibility of extension based on performance and the availability of funding.
What We Can Offer
- CIRES can offer a generous compensation package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and determined based on our CIRES internal career track classification.
- The annual hiring salary range for this position is $46,240 - $87,000.
- Relocation funds are available for this position following CIRES and the University of Colorado’s relocation processes and procedures.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Challenged. Be Driven. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Undergraduate or Master's degree in ecology, environmental science, geography, or other related fields.
- Experience in R programming language.
- Experience with data integration (e.g., different types and sources of data).
- Experience with data analysis and visualization.
- Familiarity with collaboration software (e.g., Google docs and sheets, Asana, Slack).
- Experience with project management tasks including organizing meetings, tracking milestones, reporting, and meeting deadlines.
What You Will Need
- Attention to detail.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Proficiency in R.
- Proficiency with data integration.
- Experience with simultaneous management of multiple projects.
- Familiarity with version control systems (e.g., git and/or Subversion).
- Commitment to open science.
- Experience with UAVs or a strong interest in learning.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who may be contacted on your behalf. You don’t need to include letters of recommendation with your application. If you are selected as a finalist for this role, we will also use Skillsurvey to check references. SkillSurvey is an online automated reference check solution.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Chelsea Nagy
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Geology & Earth Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder