IT Service Desk Technician/Instructional Support Assistant
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 50-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 89,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 16,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
SUNY Empire State College, Office of Information Technology Services seeks a full-time IT Service Desk Technician (State Title: Instructional Support Assistant) at our Saratoga Springs, NY location.
The IT Service Desk Technician is the primary support contact representative for Information Technology Services (ITS), students, staff and faculty. This position will have a primary focus of coordinating and enhancing student support for college technology at the IT Service Desk. This position is dedicated to providing an excellent customer support experience through voice, chat and online IT service channels. The selected incumbent will be solutions driven and be able to see the broader picture specific to student support with college technology, without a loss of customer service. The IT Service Desk Technician works closely with the team and leadership to identify opportunities for improvement in levels of student support, systems and processes. This position develops and supports student facing webinar and student synchronous training for the college technology to enhance student success in overcoming technology barriers. This position also develops student documentation for Tier 0 and Tier 1 self-help materials and other related resources (Discussion boards, chat, FAQs, etc.) as part of an advanced online ticketing (service) system.
- Professionally, respectfully and effectively represents other Information Technology Services staff members, teams and their services to the client community
- Provides student centered support for all ITS college enterprise products and services. Support includes answering questions, troubleshooting problems, teaching or instructing customers regarding software or hardware functionality, and communicating policy
- Liaisons with other student support professionals at the college to enhance student support
- Receives, manages and helps to resolve online, chat and phone initiated technical issues and inquiries
- Escalates incidents to the appropriate technician when unable to resolve issues at Tier 1 level
- Provides additional support to ITS technicians in the form of research and information discovery
- Champions student concerns and works as an advocate for them when interacting with key ITS team members
- Participates and is responsible for other tasks/projects as assigned by leadership
Preferred Knowledge, Ability and Skills:
- Strong troubleshooting skills (system-level)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to empathize with concerned customers
- Ability to develop and present training in synchronous and asynchronous environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail and professional bearing
- Attention to detail in communications and troubleshooting processes
- Ability to multitask and maintain a calm demeanor in high-stress situations
- Familiarity with basic web and digital literacy concepts
- Experience using remote support tools (i.e. Bomgar, VPN, RDP, etc.)
- Experience with web browsers, e-mail clients, web forms, basic word processing or other office suite (productivity) software
- Familiarity with ServiceNow IT Service Management System or other IT ticketing systems.
- Working knowledge of:
- Web browser functionality (Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge)
- Windows OS and Apple OSX and iOS
- Mobile device: iOS and/or Google Android
- Microsoft 365 and Office2019, including Visio and Project
- Virtual environment including Microsoft Teams and Zoom
- Additional Experience or familiarity with the following:
- Moodle or other Learning Management Systems
- Familiarity with ITIL and ITSM frameworks for service management
- Associate's degree or higher in computer sciences, information management, computer technology or related discipline
- Minimum 1-year relevant technical support experience
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a multi person service desk team
- Experience working in customer service
- Direct experience working with students
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Experience developing and conducting training
- Familiarity with advanced ticketing systems
- Hours: Tuesday - Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm, Saturday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm, with occasional evenings to accommodate student support hours.
- The first year of this position is on a temporary basis
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Computer Services & Information Technology Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Technology Administration/Other Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs