Instructional Designer (SUNY Online)
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 50-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 89,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 16,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
Join Our Growing Team! We are looking for ambitious, smart and dedicated Instructional Designers for exciting new projects.
State University of New York, Empire State College seeks an experienced Instructional Designer (ID) (State Title: Instructional Support Technician) to support the use of technology to enhance learning. This is a professional position providing instructional design consultation, support, and coordination of development and revisions college wide. The ID will provide high-level, focused academic instructional design consulting, guidance and support to developers using adult learning principles, active and authentic learning, social constructivist models, and collaborative learning. The selected incumbent will collaborate with content experts, educational technologists, librarians, graphics specialists, multimedia developers, and other instructional designers for the consistent delivery of exemplary courses. The ID will participate in the research and application of emerging technologies and emergent curricular models for online teaching and learning, and consult with the ID team on processes and best practices.
The incumbent will work closely with culturally diverse faculty, staff and students in a multicultural learning work environment.
- A Master's Degree in instructional design, or a related field
- A minimum of one year experience in instructional design
- Outstanding communication and writing skills
- Experience working in team-based environments
- Organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Experience with Course/Learning Management Systems
- Knowledge of Quality Matters, OSCQR, or other course and accessibility standards
- Understanding of ADA compliance and accessibility issues
- Two or more years working directly with college faculty in the development of online courses.
- Expertise in a variety of media
- Experience implementing Web 2.0 applications into online environments
- Experience providing instructional design support in a large scale, high volume distributed environment
- Expertise and knowledge of best design practices for the development of online learning environments
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- This is a temporary position and is contingent on funding, and may be renewable.
Rank/Salary: SL3/$50,000+ (Salary to commensurate with experience)
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references