Beyond Sparta Coordinator
Reporting to the Assistant AD for Student-Athlete Development, the Beyond Sparta Coordinator is responsible for assisting with the oversight and implementation of the transformative program, Beyond Sparta, which is focused on the development of student-athletes by providing personal and professional experiences beyond their sport. The Beyond Sparta Coordinator will assist with providing a diverse array of programming, seminars, classes and community service opportunities that will help prepare student-athletes for life beyond their sport. The career development program’s primary goal is for student-athletes to explore campus, community, and career opportunities that will enhance their experience as a student and give them the skills and relationships necessary to be successful in life beyond their sport. The Coordinator will help maintain relationships and cultivate new interests with partnering companies seeking interns, job shadowing/opportunities, and connections with qualified student-athletes. Through this curriculum the coordinator will connect student-athletes with campus partners, create a culture of volunteerism, and mentor student-athletes as they develop their identity outside of sport.
- Create content within the Beyond Sparta app that will allow all student-athletes and alumni to engage.
- Assist in the oversight of a consistent community service program with participation by student-athletes.
- Provide accountability for involvement in activities that connect players with campus community in celebration of our diverse population.
- Mentor and coach teams and individuals by identifying student-athletes’ skills and passions to help determine their direction and course for professional success.
- Utilize learning assessment tools for data collection and implementation of effective programming. Implement changes accordingly to maintain competitiveness among other programs.
- Serve as advisor for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) within Athletics.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to promote and foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and support for student-athletes
- Knowledge of basic principles of individual and group behavior, and techniques and methods of interviewing students for the purposes of holistic academic advising
- Ability to participate in university advising discussions, help with tools and reports to identify student needs and assess program effectiveness
- Ability to work well collaboratively, while also being direct in a professional manner
- Knowledgeable in industry standards and trends related to student-athletes
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to create meaningful opportunities for community engagement and manage all community outreach/engagement requests
- Ability to maintain the Beyond Sparta application/student-development software, the content that it holds, and the impact it has on career development opportunities, communication, and networking
- Knowledge of fostering a culture of volunteerism and lifelong civic engagement
- Knowledge of and proficiency in CSU, University, NCAA, and Mountain West Conference/conference affiliate rules and regulations
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related and three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience
- A master’s degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience
- A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling
- Master’s degree in related field
- Three years of progressive experience in program development, management, student supervision, and/or education or coaching in a higher education setting Input preferred qualifications
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Salary Range: $4,691/month - $6,683/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: July 21, 2021 through August 4, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: July 21, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time