Parking & Traffic Coordinator
This position administers the campus parking program to ensure a safe and controlled parking environment. This includes staffing of personnel and maintaining the integrity of the department.
The incumbent works directly with university officials including directors, department heads, student leaders and other operational units regarding parking and traffic issues.
The individual in this position reports directly to the Director of Campus Services.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This position is given wide latitude in carrying out job responsibilities. Independence is given in the establishment of priorities and development of work methods and completion schedules. The employee works with confidential and sensitive data on a routine basis. Accordingly, this position must display exemplary conduct regarding this sensitive confidential data and must ensure that the other staff in Campus Parking Services does so as well. The incumbent has access to working cash funds, departmental deposits and parking permits which are of value. Incumbent should use due diligence in handling university assets so that reasonable protection is provided to those assets at all times. No funds are to be left unattended and unsecured.
The position must work effectively with faculty, staff, students, vendors, and guests of the university to be able to professionally represent the university when communicating and coordinating parking arrangements and policies. This position is expected to assist campus units with their parking needs for various events, activities, and routine business. This requires a high level of diplomacy and professionalism to manage expectations and feasible alternatives to meet parking requirements.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Two (2) years of experience in one or more of the following fields: traffic engineering, public works, traffic enforcement, or design of parking or traffic patterns
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
2. Experience working in a university setting and responsible for a university parking operation. Budgeting experience.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Excellent customer service skills; ability to keep confidential information confidential; prior cash handling experience.
M-F; 7:00 am - 3:30pm
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
$1,875.00/ pay period
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu . Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE
NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE
EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be
required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have
previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the
exam to improve your score and register position, please contact
with Parking & Traffic Coordinator 3392 in the subject line by
the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Parking & Traffic Coordinator for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
Link to Department Homepage
Must be able to sit, stand or walk for long periods of time; climbing stairs and walking on uneven surfaces; data entry.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)