The Communications Specialist will serve as an integral member of the Principal Gifts & Strategic Initiatives team. Reporting to the Associate Director of Communication for Principal Gifts & Strategic Initiatives, the position is responsible for producing development writing and messaging, including Advancement leadership correspondence and stewardship materials. The position will support donor event planning efforts independently or in conjunction with Donor Relations, Strategic Communications and Marketing or other representatives and coordinate closely with the Principal Gifts & Strategic Initiatives Research team and the Manager of Board Relations to provide strategic support for priority communications projects. The Communications Specialist will often collaborate with the Strategic Communications and Marketing team and have frequent contact with University constituents, including faculty and staff, as well as University, and UF Advancement officials and staff as assigned.
Role and Responsibilities:
Principal Gift Communications
- Facilitate communications projects.
- Conceptualize, create, develop and write proposals and projects
to support donor stewardship and cultivation.
- Assist the Associate Director of Communications in developing
highly customized communications pieces including:
executive/presidential briefs, leadership correspondence, impact
and special reports.
- Develop and edit concept papers, case statements and proposals
for fundraising initiatives.
- Interact closely with development staff to obtain and organize
information and materials to best write, edit, research and design
quality reports tailored to each donor or prospect.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Strategic Communications and
Marketing, and assist other related departments/unit at the
direction of the Associate Director of Communications.
- Assist with strategic direction for special projects, including
donor events (provide engagement, stewardship and cultivation ideas
- Develop, initiate and execute action plans for projects.
- Ensure that project goals and timelines are met in a timely
- Track project activities and results.
- Assist the Associate Director of Communications in the
formulation of policies and procedures as they pertain to the
- Attend and participate in planning and strategy sessions about
UF's top donors and prospects.
- Assist research team in editing and fact-checking VP briefs
with information from ADVANCE and from the web, and serve in a
strategic support role to the Associate Director of
- Facilitate/coordinate communication projects that arise from
Strategic Communications & Marketing Collaboration
- Collaborate with the Strategic Communications and Marketing
team, with guidance from its AVP and Executive Director, to
coordinate and direct the production of collateral materials, and
produce and write marketing materials.
- Assist this team by editing draft letters and other written
material for correct grammar, clarity and proper use of
- Strategize with this team on communication materials for the
capital campaign—and the stewardship and engagement activities
following the campaign—that would impact PG and Presidential
Donor Relations Collaboration
- Collaborate with the Donor Relations team, with guidance from
the Associate Director of Communications, to produce strategic and
high-quality stewardship materials for PG and Presidential
- Assist this team with projects related to PG and Presidential
prospects/donors. For example, edit letters and other written
material for sensitivities, correct grammar, clarity and proper use
Tracking and Administrative
- Manage and maintain archive of proposals, concept papers and
- Assist in tracking communications projects (number requested,
number completed, and outcomes of requests) to measure performance
in this area.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and one year of relevant experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Four years or more of university development experience in the
communications field preferred.
- Excellent technical, persuasive writing and verbal
- Demonstrated journalistic writing abilities and professional
publications or editorial experience preferred.
- Must possess a proficiency in communicating effectively with
diverse audiences in conversations and through documents
- Must be an outstanding communicator and possess excellent
written and verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills; and
the ability to work collegially and interact effectively with a
- Knowledge of advancement philosophy and practices; higher
education or strategic communication experience preferred.
- Ability to problem-solve, using investigative research and
analytical skills to develop and implement creative
- Skill requiring judgment to take initiative, accurately
establish priorities, complete complex assignments in a timely
manner, and adapt quickly to changing needs and in dealing with
people who present conflicting challenges.
- Strong computer skills in these areas: Microsoft Word,
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, internet browsers, preferably
Internet Explorer, and Outlook. Working knowledge of a donor
database, contact management and tracking system is highly
- Off campus travel may be required. A valid driver license and
good driving record are essential.
- An appreciation for and support of diversity in the workplace
in all its forms; proven success working with organizational
leadership and stakeholders, both internal and external; project
management skills; experience in a data-driven environment;
organizational skills; and the ability to lead, influence and
motivate others are required.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume, and three references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
A valid Florida driver license is required.
Health Assessment Required: No
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Other Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge