Program Coordinator, Chemistry & Biochemistry
DEPARTMENT: College of Arts & Sciences
Full-time assistant to provide strong administrative and technical support to the College of Arts and Sciences Department of Chemistry and Environmental Studies Program. Proficient technology skills required. Trains, monitors and delegates the flow of work to student assistants; and serves as back-up support providing coverage for other departments in the absence of designated assistant.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS: Exposure to some confidential information
EDUCATION: Associates Degree preferred or equivalent office experience.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of 3-5 years office experience is required. Good organizational, interpersonal and communication skills are required for this position, as well as the ability to work independently, problem solve, and carry tasks through to completion.
REQUIREMENTS: Proficient computer skills required in MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Knowledge of Banner and Work Day is preferred.
REPORTS TO: Department Chairperson
Organizes departmental budget and finance needs. This involves:
- coordinating and managing budgetary and financial operations
for the department, including monitoring budget availability
throughout the budget cycle
- assisting department chair with annual budget submission and
budgetary processes through the Work Day application
Registration Process. This involves:
- coordinating and processing electronic submission of Chemistry
department’s semester course offerings
- organizing registration materials, assisting with the
monitoring of faculty teaching loads and schedules, and student
Hiring Process. This involves:
- assisting with hiring of new tenure track and part-time
- assisting in the orientation of part-time faculty, including
compiling application information and directing them towards next
steps through the hiring process, coordinating necessary
setup—office space and training
Hire, Train, monitor and delegate the flow of work to student assistants. This involves:
- pre-hire process through Workday for Non-Workstudy
- establishing and monitoring the workflow process for Federal
Workstudy Students through Banner process
- approving of weekly payroll for federal work study and non-work
5. Provide general office support. This involves:
- drafting correspondence (e-mails, letters, memos) for
- providing support to department faculty
- assisting with department-specific projects as needed,
including but not limited to reports, research projects, mass
mailings, programs, and special events
- obtaining information from the University’s Banner Database,
inclusive of running reports for all concentrations, majors,
minors, annual report process, and other department business
- greeting and assisting visitors, staff, students, and
- assisting in general departmental functions, including awards,
class trips, guest lectures, publicity, self-assessment, and
- interacting with other areas, including the Provost Office,
Dean’s Office, Finance Division, Registrar, etc.
- responding to requests for information to both internal and
- maintaining departmental office records
- maintaining office supplies, handling office equipment and
- serving as back-up office support for other departments as
Participates in the growth and development of the department. This involves:
- promoting an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout the
University community and consistent with the departmental
- serving as a responsible committee representative as
- communicating effectively with supervisor concerning pertinent
departmental and/or University matters
7. Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- promoting the proper utilization of equipment and
- notifying supervisors immediately of any unsafe working
This position is based at Fairfield University’s Fairfield, CT campus.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Academic - Staff
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org