Assistant or Associate Professor in the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
Underwood International College, Yonsei University, South Korea: Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences Division (HASS) Tenure-Track Faculty Hiring Announcement
The Underwood International College (UIC) of Yonsei University invites applications for a tenure-track position as Assistant or Associate Professor in the Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences (HASS) Division of UIC to teach and conduct research at the International Campus in Songdo, Incheon, located within the greater Seoul metropolitan region in South Korea.
We seek in applicants with strong academic backgrounds and teaching and researching interests in either one of the two following major programs:
- Justice and Civil Leadership
- Sustainable Development and Cooperation
We welcome applications from candidates with strong research potential as well as outstanding academic achievements and reputation. As all instruction at UIC are conducted in English, candidates must demonstrate excellent communication skills in English. We are looking for teachers and mentors who can combine a firm commitment to our students’ undergraduate liberal arts education with research interests that reflect global perspectives. Candidates must hold a Ph.D. at the time of application in any field related to the two majors indicated above. Consistent with Yonsei University’s continuing effort to increase faculty diversity, we encourage applications from both non-Korean and Korean citizens.
- Candidates applying to the Justice and Civil Leadership Major should be qualified to teach in one or more of the following areas: social justice, political theory, ethics, moral reasoning, human rights, philosophy of law, law and society, law and literature, and other fields consistent with the educational mission of the major program as stated below.
- For those applying to the Sustainable Development and Cooperation Major, we are particularly interested in candidates with teaching and research experience in one or more of the following areas: impact evaluation of development projects and/or programs; social dimensions of global wicked problems, e.g. climate change; strengthening health systems in developing countries; and science, technology, and innovation for sustainable development.
The appointment will begin from March 1, 2022. Teaching responsibilities are typically 6 credit hours (2 classes) per semester. Compensation includes a competitive salary, health insurance, and other benefits. Additionally, non-Korean citizens not currently living in Korea are eligible for housing support (for up to 6 years), reimbursement for international moving expenses, and others.
About the JCL and SDC Majors, HASS Division, and
- The Justice and Civil Leadership Major
The Justice and Civil Leadership (JCL) major aims to develop future leaders equipped with critical skills necessary to resolve complex issues of justice facing governments and civil society. In this program, ‘justice’ is understood as a multi-dimensional phenomenon related to the individual, family, and society, involving both public and private sectors, and arising in domestic and international contexts. As such, students majoring in the JCL major are expected to acquire the theoretical and practical knowledge needed to advance justice in diverse settings. This requires broad training across the humanities and social sciences. Students will further hone their critical and analytic thinking through instruction in legal theory, legal philosophy, law and society as well as in selected fields of law.
- The Sustainable Development and Cooperation Major
The Sustainable Development and Cooperation (SDC) major
aims to equip students to pursue a future in international
development, which encompasses a broad range of development issues
such as, poverty reduction, inequality, human rights, health,
education, economic growth, and environmental preservation.
Students will acquire theoretical and conceptual skills that enable
them to address a wide variety of development issues from the
perspectives of diverse academic disciplines including economics,
politics, anthropology, and history. Students will also develop
practical field experience as a development practitioner and play
an informed role in the struggle for the improvement of human
- The Humanities, Arts, and Social
Sciences (HASS) Division
The Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences (HASS) Division of the UIC focuses on interdisciplinary approaches covering various field of interest from regional studies, art, business, social sciences, to humanities. Students not only specialize in their respective fields, but also learn to explore and utilize the broader perspectives and framework that are requisite in today’s workplace, whether it be the public sector, multinational corporations, NGOs, or academia. In addition to the JCL and SDC majors, HASS Division offers six other major programs.
- Underwood International College
The Underwood International College of Yonsei University is a highly competitive program at South Korea’s most prestigious private university. UIC combines the intimate atmosphere of a liberal arts college with the resources of a major research university. All instruction is in English, and the student body consists of only native and near-native speakers of English drawn from about 70 different countries.
Interested applicants must apply online at https://faculty.yonsei.ac.kr/recruit/and submit all the required documents through the online system. Applications without the required documents will not be considered for evaluation. If an applicant cannot upload the original or copies of certain documents, such as publications, they must submit them via post to the address below.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for a presentation and interview. For questions or additional information, please contact the HASS office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Prospective applicants are also encouraged to look our website at http://uic.yonsei.ac.kr.
- Application Date: July 12, 2021 ~ August 27, 2021
- Application Deadline: August 27, 2021 (Friday), 17:00 KST Documents arriving after the deadline will not be accepted due to university regulations.
- Documents to be uploaded with your online application:
- Online Application Form (including list of Publications Form, Curriculum Vitae) 2. Copies of Certificates of Graduation & Transcripts from B.A., M.A. and Ph.D. 3. Ph.D. Dissertation 4. Main research publications from after March 2017 - For main achievements (up to five), please check “Main Achievement” in the list of research records of the list of publication form. - Either the originals or the copies of applicant’s five main publications published after March 2017 should be submitted along with a summary of research (within a page length) for each publication.
- For shortlisted candidates, the following documents must be sent via post:
- Original Certificates of Graduation & Transcripts from B.A., M.A. and Ph.D. 2. Two letters of recommendation (from professors or professionals in the same program or field) 3. Originals or copies of all publications from after March 2017
- Mailing Address
HASS office administration
Ms. Jinwoo Nam Room 437, Veritas B Hall
Yonsei University International Campus 85 Songdogwahak-ro, Yeonsu-gu
Republic of Korea Telephone: +82-32-749-3761
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in South Korea
- Professional Fields Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in South Korea
- Law & Legal Studies Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in South Korea
- Social & Behavioral Sciences Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in South Korea
- Political Science & International Relations Tenured/Tenured Track Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in South Korea