Director, Academics for Student Athletes
The Office of the Dean of Students is dedicated to providing an environment that will enable students to effectively engage in their academic and intellectual work, develop cultural competencies, and cultivate social/global awareness in order to be informed, involved, and contributing community members. The ODOS assists students in the resolution of problems and concerns, provides information about and referral to campus resources, and promotes initiatives that address students’ needs and interests.
The Director of Academics for Student Athletes (ASA) reports directly to the Associate Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. The Director leads ASA which supports student athletes in their academic, intellectual, social, and personal development. The Director is responsible for fostering a collaborative environment with academic departments and advisers in order to bring relevant resources in promoting a comprehensive academic support program for the success of student athletes. The Director will use knowledge, expertise, and best practices to enhance the academic support services for the student-athlete.
This position upholds the integrity of Oregon State University with a clear, unambiguous commitment to compliance of all National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Pac-12 regulations in academic support services offered to student athletes.
The Director position is a 1.0 FTE, 12-month fixed term appointment. Position duties are 50% Functional Area Leadership, 30% Campus Leadership and Engagement, 15% Supervision, and 5% Other. Typical office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm. The duties of this position may require weekend and evening work.
- Master’s Degree in Education, Leadership, Sociology, Counseling, Sports administration, or related field.
- Five years of professional experience with a demonstrated record of innovative, student-centered leadership in student-athlete academic support services at the university level.
- Three years of professional supervisor experience including hiring, evaluating, supervising, and training staff.
- Demonstrated ability to advocate, promote, and prioritize academic success of student athletes.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate strategic planning and execute strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrated leadership in change and transition management.
- Demonstrated experience preparing and monitoring budgets.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the NCAA Division I rules and regulations and an understanding of, and commitment to, a strong environment of rules compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to provide critical thinking to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
- Demonstrated proficiencies with word processing, excel spreadsheets, student database management systems.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations.
- This position is designated as a critical, security-sensitive or safety-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be deemed fit for duty at placement and while serving in the position.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well under pressure while managing the expectations of others.
- Experience working with GradesFirst student database system.
- Ability to interact effectively with the various internal constituencies of comprehensive university with competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete projects independently with specific deadlines.
Application information may be found at https://jobs.oregonstate.edu posting P04608UF. Documents required for application are 1) Resume that describes work experience and education, 2) Cover letter explaining how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications, professional competencies, and preferred qualifications, 3) The names of at least three professional references, their email addresses and their telephone numbers. Only complete applications will be considered. Posting closes 8.11.2021. Position related inquiries may be directed to Debby.Widony@oregonstate.edu .
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Corvallis
- Student Affairs Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Corvallis
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Corvallis
- Athletics Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Corvallis
- Other Student Affairs Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Corvallis