Career Assistant (grant funded)
Career Assistant (grant funded)
Career Development Office
Central Connecticut State University invites applications for a full-time, grant funded, Career Assistant in the Career Development Office. Under the supervision and guidance of the Director of Career Development, the Career Assistant (CA) will help with career related programs and activities designed to assist undergraduate and graduate students. The Career Assistant will help students with career information, professional development, and the techniques of obtaining employment.
- Under the instruction of the Director of Career Development, the CA will provide students with information on major, career, professional development, and postgraduation opportunities.
- Assists with outreach workshops, presentations, and programs to educate and inform students, faculty and staff about the Career Development department’s programs and services, as well as opportunities to build employability skills.
- Assists with providing university career development programs, events, and fairs for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Assists with the scheduling of the departmental calendar of activities, programs, and events.
- Works with the Director for the development and expansion of the on-campus student worker placement initiative.
- Researches and stays informed of national, state and local hiring practices, employment trends, and other labor-related issues for careers in the majors CCSU provides.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities related to those above which do not alter the basic level of responsibility of the position.
- Bachelor's degree and one year of experience working in a secondary or post-secondary student-oriented environment with direct student contact.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, psychology, communication, counseling, business, social science or related field.
- Knowledge of student mentoring;
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment;
- Knowledge of current employment trends.
- Knowledge of higher education and placement services.
Credentials and/or experience substantially comparable to the above may also be considered.
The University: The largest of Connecticut’s regional comprehensive universities, Central currently enrolls over 10,000 students. A third of its undergraduates are students of color, the largest group being Hispanic. Ninety-six (96%) percent of the students are from Connecticut. For more information about Central Connecticut State University, please visit www.ccsu.edu.
Located nine miles southwest of Hartford, New Britain is a city of approximately 72,000. Part of the Greater Hartford area of 1.2 million residents, New Britain is centrally located in the state and is within easy reach of much of Connecticut and several metropolitan areas. Nicknamed “the Hardware City” for its rich industrial heritage, it is home to Stanley Black & Decker. Important cultural institutions include the New Britain Museum of American Art and Walnut Hill Park, designed by Fredrick Law Olmstead. New Britain’s population is characterized by a high degree of racial and ethnic diversity. Currently, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates 70% of the population as White, 13% as Black or African American, 3% as Asian, and 0.2% as American Indian or Alaska Native. Currently 4.6% of New Britain’s population identify themselves in more than one racial category and 43% of New Britain’s population identify themselves as Hispanic or Latino. Fifty percent (50%) speak a language other than English in the home and 19% were born internationally. Significant portions of its population come from Puerto Rican and Poland or consider themselves to be from the African-American, Italian, or Irish ethnic backgrounds. In addition to all that greater Hartford provides, New Britain is 40 minutes from Springfield, Mass., two hours from Boston, and two hours from New York City. It is also part of the Hartford-Springfield “Knowledge Corridor” and, therefore, within easy driving distance of a host of private and public institutions of higher education and many cultural opportunities.
Application and Appointment: For full consideration, applications must be received by August 9, 2021
To begin the application process, click on the Apply button and electronically submit the following documents:
- Letter of interest addressing qualifications for the position
- Current resume
- Names of three professional references including their address, email address, and telephone numbers.
The State of Connecticut and Central Connecticut State University is proud to offer its employees competitive wages and a wide range of fringe benefits including voluntary and supplemental benefits.
Fringe benefits include personal, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, medical, dental, and prescription plans, group life insurance, a choice of retirement plans, retirement health care, tuition waiver for employee and eligible dependents at any of the Connecticut State Universities (Central, Eastern, Southern or Western) as well as an array of voluntary and supplemental benefits such as Deferred Retirement Compensation plans, Dependent Care Assistance and Medical Flexible spending accounts, long term and short term disability plans.
For more detailed information, please visit CCSU Human Resources
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Emailed and mailed applications will not be accepted. Please redact any personally identifiable information (i.e., Social Security number, date of birth, marital status, country of origin) from any documents submitted. Please ensure your Social Security Number is not listed on any documents submitted.
For more information, contact Paul Rossitto at email@example.com .
As an affirmative action employer, Central Connecticut State University actively seeks and encourages applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status. The University provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in New Britain
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in New Britain
- Social Work & Human Services Not specified Full Time jobs in New Britain
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in New Britain
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in New Britain