Academic Department Chair, Social Science
Academic Department Chair, Social Science
Compensation: Faculty Entry Salary
PeopleSoft ID: 4239
Formal review of applications begins: Mar 3, 2020
Department: Social Science
Key Position Information:
Supports the Dean in providing campus leadership for the Social/Behavioral Sciences and Human Services Department. Provides instruction in Economics courses in alignment with SPC's college goals. Experience with teaching in multiple modalities and using assessment and various technologies to engage students and promote student retention and success.
- Ability to teach all economics classes
- Three or more years of college level teaching within the last five years
- An earned doctorate
- Expertise in and commitment to civic and community engagement
Assists the Dean at the campus level, plans and directs a specific department, discipline, and/or program(s).
A faculty member at SPC has the primary function of instruction, coaching and student development. Secondary functions include assisting the college in developing and maintaining a quality program of instruction, providing service to the college and continuing professional development.
Master’s degree in Economics or Master’s degree with 18 graduate hours in Economics.
Three (3) years teaching experience in a college, with a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching.
- Managerial principles and practices
- Academic program requirements
- Customer service principles
- Presentation principles and practices
- Diverse populations and cultures
- Computers and related software applications
- Ability to apply micro-computer applications for increased administrative efficiency and productivity.
- Experience in online instruction or technology enhanced instruction
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Using a computer and related software applications
- Under direction of Dean, develops, prepares, and updates program course material.
- Advises students in program planning, course selection, and career guidance.
- Maintains campus departmental office.
- Interviews, recommends mentors and evaluates adjunct instructors within the specific department, discipline, and/or program(s). in accordance with college rules, policies and procedures
- Assists the Dean regarding budget matters for the specific campus.
- Responsible for accessing and utilizing substitute instructors in accordance with college rules and policies.
- Assists the Dean in administering the attendance management system which includes analysis of the PeopleSoft attendance reports for compliance with the college attendance and withdrawal policy for students.
- Performs related duties required for the administration and management of the academic program(s) as required or assigned by Dean, Sr. VP and/or President (includes functions which may vary from one program to another such as internal and/or external committees, labs, accreditation etc. other functions determined necessary for successful management of the program).
- Teaches 9ECH in each of the Fall and Spring terms and 6ECH in the summer. 6ECH/semester will be assigned as part of base for administrative duties.
- Assists Dean and campus Provost with management of campus equipment/materials and resources.
- Fosters academic excellence in teaching and learning
- Supports the community college philosophy through commitment to success of students with diverse goals, backgrounds and learning styles
- Instructs students in accordance with college policies, procedures and approved curricula
- Uses out-of-class duty hours effectively for class preparation, assisting students and participating in department/college activities
- Serves the college through any of the following: (a) committee membership, (b) curriculum development, (c) development of innovative instruction, (d) sponsorship of student organizations, (e) representation of the college in professionally related community activities, and (f) special projects
- Supports college extracurricular functions
- Maintains currency in teaching field(s) through professional development and scholarly activities
- Demonstrates a professional, cooperative and considerate attitude toward students, colleagues and staff
- Performs related duties as required
To apply, visit https://web.spcollege.edu/hrapp/job/4239
The Board of Trustees of St. Petersburg College affirms its equal opportunity policy in accordance with the provisions of the Florida Educational Equity Act and all other relevant state and federal laws, rules and regulations. The college will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or against any qualified individual with disabilities in its employment practices or in the admission and treatment of students. Recognizing that sexual harassment constitutes discrimination on the basis of sex and violates this Rule, the college will not tolerate such conduct. Should you experience such behavior, please contact Pamela Smith, the director of EA/EO/Title IX Coordinator at 727-341-3261; by mail at P.O. Box 13489, St. Petersburg, FL 33733-3489; or by email at email@example.com.