Vice President, Communications & Marketing
Union Theological Seminary in the City of New York
The Vice President, Communications & Marketing, will be a key member of the UTS leadership team, partnering with the President and a highly effective Executive Team to advance the Seminary’s social justice and spiritual mission, its cutting-edge reputation, and its longstanding global visibility, and to bring strategic and imaginative thought leadership to this dynamic and evolving historic institution.
The VP will develop and lead all external and internal communications and marketing strategies and plans, with clear performance metrics, working easily across multiple departments, including Admissions and Financial Aid, Development/Alumni Affairs, Online Education and Learning Innovation, Academic Affairs, and Human Resources.
Candidate must be agile, innovative, collaborative, proactive, highly creative, and passionately committed to the wide-range of social justice issues central to UTS’s academic identity. Candidate must have marketing and communications experience and demonstrated ability to develop and implement effective marketing strategies, including content marketing and digital-first content development; experience with data/analytics and communications and marketing technologies; experience writing for a senior leader; creative ability to identifying new ways to promote mission to traditional and new constituents; success managing a fast-paced office team; demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, equity, inclusion, and diversity; demonstrated success with high-level media placements, and knowledge of current social media communication tactics, particularly in progressive contexts. A bachelor’s degree is required, and at least 10 years of relevant experience. Prior experience in higher education or previous work for faith/religious organization is desirable but not required.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Create and implement a comprehensive communications (external and internal), marketing/branding strategy and implementation plan that stretches across all platforms (marketing, media relations, social media, advertising) and aligns with Union’s academic, justice-driven mission and strategic goals.
- Advise senior management regarding strategic planning, marketing, and communications, including execution of reputation management and crisis communications, as needed.
- Lead and manage Communications Department team consisting of several full-time and part-time staff members and highly motivated student interns.
- Work with Admissions and Financial Aid Office to develop and manage metrics-driven marketing strategies to support recruitment and enrollment goals, leverage our Slate CRM platform, and evaluate effectiveness of marketing activities, including a growing digital marketing initiative for new online and in-person programs and their expanding constituent-base.
- Work with Development leadership to identify and promote programs that drive constituency engagement and donor-development in fundraising and campaign execution.
- Lead proactive efforts to promote thought leadership of President and faculty (as one example, our new appointment of Dr. Cornel West to Union faculty), by reaching strategic, high-value media and event-opportunities.
- Promote Union events, outstanding students, alumni/ae, and stellar programmatic partners such as Episcopal Divinity School at Union, and work with affiliate initiatives such as Kairos Center (Poor People’s Campaign), Center for Earth Ethics, Rise Program (for women of color in ministry), Buddhism and Activism Network, Encore Program for vocational mentoring of people over 55, Visions Arts Initiative, and more, across all communications channels.
- Provide guiding leadership for Board of Trustees Communications Committee and prepare agendas and presentations for Committee and Board.
- Manage relationships with external pr/marketing consultants, photographers, video production crews, and editors.
- Prepare range of written content - remarks, blog posts, media material (press releases, institutional statements, opinion pieces, etc.) print collateral, reports, presentations as needed.
- Advise on design, language and tone of Union branding and collateral across all departments. Ensure messaging is inclusive, diverse and equitable and reflective of Union’s social justice and multi-religious values.
- Serve as editor-in-chief of Union Collective, the Seminary’s bi-annual magazine.
- Lead engagement with external governmental and community partners on joint initiatives that promote Seminary’s public profile.
- Lead engagement with professional associations and peer institutions in higher education and theological education for collaboration and real-time benchmarking.
- Schedule and manage stream of internal communications to Union community.
- Serve, when appropriate, as Union spokesperson
- Demonstrated ability to thrive amidst a community of ambitious, talented, committed, and remarkably diverse colleagues, students, and friends who share a vision and a passion for UTS’s unique educational calling.
Apply for Vice President, Communications & Marketing
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City
- Communications Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City
- Digital Media Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City
- Media Studies Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City
- Other Communications Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in New York City