Libraries Budget Officer
The University of Colorado Libraries encourages applications for a Budget Officer ! This position manages and leads all aspects of the budget and accounting functions for the University Libraries. This is a phenomenal growth opportunity for someone with university or state finance experience.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
We are a knowledge catalyst. We fuel inquiry, discovery, collaboration, creation, and the dissemination of knowledge. We welcome everyone, wherever they are on their educational journey.
An information-empowered world.
Our values define our interactions within the Libraries and radiate outwardly. This means that we develop a culture that compassionately and authentically embodies our values in all aspects of our work.
We affirm diversity and inclusive excellence to be vitally integral to the Libraries’ mission and vision. We strive to model this in recruitment and retention, building collections, and offering services and spaces to develop a receptive social, intellectual, and physical environment for all. Learn more about our dedication to diversity and inclusivity.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Manages Library Budget and Accounting Functions
- This position coordinates, implements, and facilitates the budget and accounting functions for the Libraries system.
- Monitors, forecasts, and plans for budget balances to facilitate Libraries goals such as hiring needs and construction projects and ensures that speed types are not overspent.
- Interprets financial data, communicates meaning, and takes action to remedy when needed.
- Prepares journal entries when necessary to ensure adequate funding for projects and goals, works with other departments to correct errors, recommends policy or procedural changes as necessary.
- Reviews, analyzes, controls, reports, and informs on Library financial accounts that represent budgets of approximately $32.5 million in general funds, $1.1 million in gift funds, and $300,000 in auxiliary funds.
- The Library Deans rely on this position for financial information and guidance. Likewise, Campus finance departments rely on this position for Libraries’ financial information and to provide an understanding of the unique realm of Libraries’ needs.
- Monitors, discusses, recommends, and implements accounting procedures/policies with Libraries accounting personnel to increase efficiencies and spread the work among employees.
- Builds step-by-step guides when necessary to help with new or changed accounting processes.
- Responds to audit requests of transactions when scheduled.
- Prepares financial and statistical data for annual reports.
- Builds trend analysis to use in budgeting for Libraries auxiliary accounts and other requests.
- Only staff member required to take the yearly Fiscal Assessment which is sought at helping prevent financial fraud.
Oversees Business Support
- Position organizes, implements, and facilitates the purchasing, inventory, travel, and equipment maintenance activities for the Libraries system.
- Trains and supervises employees, delegates tasks, determines priorities to expedite work flows and meet deadlines.
- Reviews and approves purchase orders, monthly expense reports, CU Marketplace orders, travel expense reports, and other transactions to make sure transactions are posted to the correct accounting codes to ensure accurate accounting reports.
- Serves as Procurement Card (Acard) Program Department Liaison for Libraries with all incumbent responsibilities and as Approving Official for cardholders.
- Reviews and helps write documents such as legal contracts, applications for grants, related spread sheets, and other documents. Ensures they are complete and accurate and monitors them for potential liability issues. Takes these documents through the various departments and processes to completion.
Ensures Compliance with University, state, and federal fiscal rules/policies
- Position explains, interprets, clarifies and implements University, Regent, State, and Federal fiscal policies and procedures and functions as primary liaison between the Libraries and University offices for the unit’s business activities.
- Responsible for knowing and understanding University and other fiscal policies and procedures and deciding actions to take and determining how a process is done and by whom.
- Communicates to all interested parties so that adequate internal controls exist, the risk of fraud is lessened, and the Libraries remains in compliance with the relevant policies.
What You Should Know
We are open to a flexible work schedule and the possibility of a hybrid modality, between being remote and some onsite.
What We Can Offer
The annual salary range for this position is $66,000 to $68,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Resourceful. Be Effective. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field such as management, finance, or accounting.
- Three years of experience managing budget and accounting functions.
What You Will Need
- Strong attention to detail.
- Superb oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to cultivate an environment of diversity, inclusion, and respect.
- Ability to prioritize work and work proactively.
- Ability to identify and solve problems independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to carry out fiscal responsibilities by adhering to University policies and applicable laws.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Five years’ experience in University accounting/management.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience using PeopleSoft or other financial software.
- Experience using CU Marketplace or other purchasing software.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Office Suite.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by August 1, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Accounting & Finance Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Boulder