Dixie State University is actively seeking a Learning Designer
(level I or II) to join our DSU Online team. Reporting to the
Director of Learning Design & Development at DSU Online,
Learning Designers I and II actively lead the design and
development aspects of online courses or other digital learning
experiences. Learning Designers use sound instructional design
principles, methods, and theories to create engaging and
outcome-aligned learning activities and assessments. This position
works closely with faculty or other subject-matter experts on
multiple projects or initiatives concurrently. A Learning Designer
II also serves in a mentoring role to other learning designers.
Come join an ambitious and inventive team to build active, applied,
and authentic learning offerings.
DSU Online provides leadership and support of high quality,
affordable, active and applied online education that prepares
learners for meaningful employment and career advancement. In
fulfilling our mission, we provide the following central
- Assist in the planning and design of new online programs and
- Design and development of active and applied online learning
- Promotion of online offerings through digital, social media,
and traditional marketing channels;
- Facilitating concierge support to online learners from
admissions to graduation;
- Orientation, certification, and ongoing support of online
- Incubation of innovative learning models and practices.
Course Design and Development Projects (65%)
Consultation on Course Design, and Related Technologies
- Apply various instructional design theories, models, and
principles to identify, design, develop, implement, and evaluate
appropriate teaching and learning solutions delivered in a variety
of modalities to be effective, efficient, and engaging.
- Collaborate with faculty or subject-matter experts to assess
instructional needs, establish timelines for project completion and
identify desired outcomes.
- Build courses in the university learning platform with the
assistance of technologists and other designers.
- Coordinate and meet with the project manager and other learning
designers on standards, workflows, priorities, etc.
- Provide constructive feedback using the online & blended
course design quality standards as part of course reviews for peer
learning designers and faculty.
- Cultivate collaborative, professional working relationships
with faculty and department chairs in assigned college and
departments, and provide consultations in the design and structure
of instructional solutions for active and collaborative
- Assist faculty and staff in learning about and integrating new
learning technologies and pedagogies in courses.
- Design and/or facilitate professional growth and learning
opportunities both online and in-person to improve teaching and
learning at DSU.
- Keep abreast of current instructional design research,
principles, strategies, and emerging technologies/applications to
apply in course development techniques.
- Network to build bridges between DSU Online and the rest of the
- Participate in University committees and task forces as
- Work on higher profile and/or more complex assignments and
projects, as assigned (Learning Designer II only).
- Serve as lead designer on projects involving more than one
learning designer, as assigned (Learning Designer II
- Mentor other learning designers in the fulfillment of their
responsibilities (Learning Designer II only).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- For Learning Designer I: Bachelor's degree in a related
discipline, and a minimum of 3 years of direct work experience
required; 4-5 years of direct work experience in higher education
preferred. For Learning Designer II: Master’s degree in a related
discipline, and a minimum of 5 years of direct work experience in
higher education, required; 6-10 years of direct work experience in
higher education, preferred.
- Knowledge of various instructional design theories, models, and
- Good analytical skills and the ability to synthesize
information from a variety of sources.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication
skills. Communicate clearly and respectfully with others.
- Ability to work well on a team and independently.
- Ability to organize priorities and complete tasks across
several projects or initiatives concurrently.
- Ability to write clear and measurable learning outcomes, and
aligns assessments and instructional activities with learning
- Ability to think creatively about new opportunities,
challenges, and problems.
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies and
- Good understanding about accessibility standards or universal
- Capability to effectively design visual elements of web pages
- Solid understanding of HTML and CSS coding languages
- Proficiency with Adobe creative suite or similar
- Ability to take the lead among professional peers &
partners (Learning Designer II only).
- Ability to mentor others by example and the use of constructive
criticism (Learning Designer II only).
professional staff (overtime-exempt) position. Annual salary of
$53,000 - $59,000 for Learning Designer I (depending on
qualifications & experience) and $58,000 - $69,000 for Learning
Designer II, also depending on qualifications & experience.
Desired start date of September/October 2021. Excellent benefits
package included (see https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/
under 'Benefits Summary' for more details).
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Application review begins
August 9, 2021; position open until filled
Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information
(including email) for three professional references electronically.
If, because of a disability, you need special services or
facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the
Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Dixie State University is an open,
inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to
exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an
instructional approach of 'active learning. active life' and a
culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and
staff committed to creating an active, applied and career-oriented
learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911
as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is
located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert
climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy
access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The
nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles) with
amenities such as an international airport and professional
sporting teams. Click here to
learn more about the University.
With more than 12,000 students, Dixie State has been a fast-growing
Utah public institution of higher education for a number of years.
We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors,
associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases.
DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and
staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations
aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a
premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU
is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the
President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative
Action and within its programs and activities, including in
admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not
discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment,
based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic
information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status
protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal,
state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing
regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel
Sainsbury - email@example.com , HCC 579,
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org ,
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for
Civil Rights, email@example.com ,
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org ,
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification form