Under the direction of the Landscape Architect and Grounds Manager, and within the department of Facilities Management, assist in the maintenance of the University grounds. Additional information about the department is online at https://campus.dixie.edu/ .
- Perform groundskeeping work, maintaining and caring for
assigned landscaping areas. This includes:
- Mowing, weeding, edging, cultivating, pruning, maintaining and fertilizing lawns, plants, trees, and shrubs.
- Preparing soil for sod or seed.
- Watering turf, airfield and reseeding turf.
- Operate grounds keeping equipment such as mowers, trimmers, edgers, forklift, man lift, tractor with attachments, and other related equipment.
- Maintain and sweep sidewalks and other areas; clean and maintain outside fountains. Pick up trash and debris within the grounds; empty outside trash containers.
- Repair and maintain university irrigation systems, which include all piping, valves, trimers, sprinkler heads, time clocks, and wiring.
- Maintain daily logs as set up by the department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED required.
- Two years’ related experience, plus a valid Driver’s License, required; experience with irrigation systems preferred.
- Must be able to lift more than 50 pounds (lift test will be required prior to job start date), as well as be able to work in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold.
- Ability to use and knowledge of the operation of equipment and tools necessary to perform daily tasks (mower, weed eater, shears, shovels, spades, tractor, truck, etc.).
- Knowledge of handling and the proper application of related chemicals.
- Knowledge of planting and caring for trees, shrubbery, and grass.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; ability to follow detailed oral and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise basic human relations skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relations with the university community and campus guests.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Full-time classified staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of $31,500, with a desired start date of September 1, 2021. Excellent benefits package included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life, disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/ under 'Benefits Summary' for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Application review begins August 4 , 2021 . Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three professional references electronically. If, because of a disability, you need special services or facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: Dixie State University (DSU) is an open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an instructional approach of 'active learning. active life' and a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and staff committed to creating a student-centered active, applied and career-oriented learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911 as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles), with amenities such as an international airport and professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230 programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates, endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas, possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel Sainsbury - email@example.com , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org , 435-652-7731.
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org , 303-844-5695.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.