About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
Full-Time, 12-month Non-Tenure Track in Nursing Faculty develops, implements, and evaluates the nursing program on an ongoing basis. This position participates in advising students, curriculum development, program revisions, program evaluations, textbook selection, teaching in the online classroom, oversee clinical experiences, evaluation of student achievement, and other matters as assigned in accordance with the mission, core values, and purposes of the university.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Full-Time, 12-month Non-Tenure Track in Nursing Faculty performs the following essential functions:
- Participates in interviewing and makes recommendations for hiring of Adjunct Faculty.
- Arranges for coverage of classes during own absences and emergency leaves.
- Promotes rapport within the department, campus, and community.
- Posts and keeps a minimum of five office hours per week that are convenient to students who seek assistance with counseling, academic advising, and coursework.
- Maintains punctuality in meeting assigned classes and clinical.
- Functions as a Lead Faculty for assigned courses. Plans, monitors, and evaluates the instruction provided by Adjunct Faculty assisting with any aspect of the course.
- Models professional behavior and standards of practice while in the workplace.
- Makes recommendations regarding equipment, software purchases, and equipment maintenance contracts.
- Participates in budget planning process.
- Attends and participates in faculty meetings.
- Participates in accreditation reviews and reports.
- Participates in developing programs, evaluating and revising student policies, organizational framework and revising curricular offerings.
- Participates in publicizing and disseminating information about the program.
- Participates in recruitment, orientation, and coordination of Adjunct Faculty.
- Participates in the orientation and advisement of students.
- Serves as a member of the Department of Nursing Committee and participates on one or more of the following committees, Curriculum Committee, Process and Evaluation Committee, and or Retention and Progression Committee.
- Attends and participates in Graduate Nursing Committee meetings.
- Attends and participates Faculty Assembly.
- Participate in university-wide committees when requested.
- Serves as an advisor for nursing students.
- Assists students with course scheduling and provides guidance in their academic and personal development.
- Develops remediation plans with students.
- Schedules regular meetings with students who are at risk to be unsuccessful in a course or the nursing program.
- Assists students in identifying and utilizing resources that may contribute to their success.
- Implements syllabi, including all course requirements and assignments, for all students.
- Submits suggestions for changes in master syllabi to the Graduate Nursing Program Director and/ or Nursing Program Chair.
- Designs and implements new curriculum.
- Participates in the evaluation of curriculum.
- Submits teaching summaries for each course taught.
- Teaching load is a minimum of 6 credits for two semesters and 9 credits in the third.
- Teaching load may be divided between theory and clinical instruction if needed.
- Develops assigned course and clinical syllabi to reflect the
- department of nursing and university philosophy, theoretical constructs, course description, and objectives and curriculum in conjunction with the graduate program director and nursing program chair.
- Utilizes a variety of teaching methods to accommodate the learning styles of the students.
- Provides for opportunities for active student involvement through practice and application.
- Demonstrates a command of the subject matter.
- Demonstrates considerations for diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Encourages student participation and questions.
- Models and encourages a collaborative faculty-student relationship.
- Provides or utilizes course materials (handouts, interactive notes, technology) that enhance student learning and follows the course syllabus.
- Models professional behavior and standards of practice.
- Performs additional responsibilities for nursing faculty
overseeing clinical supervision in an affiliating agency including:
- Oversees student clinical orientation as required by the institution.
- Completes validations as required by contract with clinical agencies
- Provides students with feedback and evaluation in collaboration with clinical preceptors.
- Conducts mid-term and final conferences with preceptors & students. If additional meetings are needed, the faculty will conduct as needed.
- Maintains ongoing weekly evaluation of individual student progress in the clinical area.
- Provides timely ongoing verbal and written feedback to students.
- Guides and counsels with students toward personal development in dealing with clinical stress.
- Keeps the graduate nursing program director informed on issues that arise with students and clinical sites.
- Provides the evaluation of students in both didactic and clinical courses.
- Participates in peer evaluations when requested.
- Reviews student evaluation summaries of assigned courses and utilizes the feedback for planning and implementing future courses.
- Participates in program planning in response to student program evaluation feedback.
- Participates in program planning in response to clinical evaluation feedback.
- Participates in program planning in response to employer satisfaction surveys.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Full-Time, 12-month Non-Tenure Track in Nursing Faculty must satisfy the following minimum qualifications:
- Ph.D., or DNP in nursing required from an ACEN or CCNE -accredited institution
- Previous teaching experience preferred; two years of classroom and or clinical instruction in the area/areas of teaching responsibility; knowledge and skills related to teaching adults, teaching methodology, curriculum development, and evaluation.
- Current/unencumbered RN license; current healthcare provider CPR.
- Proficient in computer usage
- Ability to meet changes of adult learners with diverse backgrounds
- Self-directed and innovative
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Teaching is a 12-month appointment with required teaching in a 3-semester cycle
Skills and Attributes:
Full-Time, 12-month Non-Tenure Track in Nursing Faculty must possess the following skills and attributes: management and leadership skills; organizational and research skills; strong interpersonal and communication skills; strong clinical and professional skills.
Required Work Hours:
A minimum of forty hours per week, plus other hours as may be necessary to complete job duties. A combination of day, evening, and weekend hours is required.
- Performing duties, attending events outside of normally scheduled work hours occasionally occurs and is required.
- Incumbent may be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones, office machines, and nearby oral communications among University personnel and/or students.
- Any additional area-specific requirements
- Computer work to offer distance learning education
Required Physical Abilities:
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, move from one area to the building to another on a regular basis, sit and use a computer for a long period of time.
- Manual and physical dexterity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper documents.
- Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on computer display screen, in hand-written forms, and printed on paper.
- Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person, virtually on computer monitor, and by telephone.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including:
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online by providing a cover letter, resume, teaching philosophy, and three letters of recommendation. Salve Regina University, as a comprehensive Mercy, Catholic University, welcomes people of all beliefs and encourages students to work for a world that is harmonious, just, and merciful. In your cover letter, please highlight how your teaching, scholarship, leadership, and service might serve to support the University's mission and its commitment to diversity, dialogue, and lifelong learning. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.