Director of Career Success, Humanities & Sciences Dean
The College of Humanities and Sciences/Dean invites applications for a Director of Career Success . The Director will serve as the leader of the College of Humanities & Sciences comprehensive effort to prepare our students for postgraduate success. This position will be responsible for designing, launching, and managing a new career development program to meet the needs of students in the College of Humanities and Sciences. Through growing and leveraging a network of recruiters, alumni, supporters, and other academic and professional contacts the Director provides strategic oversight of career development for the college and ensures that students are connected to meaningful experiential learning and employment opportunities. This position will also manage career-related programmatic needs for the College. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to: providing individualized career coaching, resume critiques, and interview preparation (including video conferencing), and hosting recruiting and professional development events.
The successful candidate will exhibit a deep dedication to promoting student success, be capable of excellent service to students from diverse backgrounds with a variety of academic and professional interests, flourish in a collaborative environment, enjoy networking, understand current employment trends and opportunities, and have a deep appreciation for a broad liberal arts education.
The Director will:
- Develop programming and initiatives to promote career development to foster awareness as to the value of a Liberal Arts education and its applicability to a variety of careers and career paths
- Develop and maintain marketing and outreach materials for all of the above services and programs
- Develop and maintain a database of placement locations and contacts
- Monitor the work of students in internship placements and faculty supervising internships.
- Serve as liaison between academic departments, the College, and the Office of Experiential Learning and Career Success
- Assist College leadership with developing and building employer partners with university initiatives that relate to career skills and workforce development, such as the Campus to Career and New Learner Initiatives
- Work with departments and current and prospective internship providers to create and maintain an internship opportunity database locally, statewide, and globally
- Assist with campus Career and Internship Fairs and other special events related to Student Success
- Manage and maintain the Handshake opportunity listings, provide content for the College’s Career and Internships webpage. This includes developing policies and procedures, and AA/EEO requirements related to Student Success for the College.
- Provide access to and/or develop and conduct training, workshops, and/or seminars for students, faculty, and staff
- Conduct data collection and analysis to measure program success. Develop and present annual College and department-level reports on career development activities.
- Bachelor's degree as well as at least two (2) years of professional experience developing, promoting, and managing internship/experiential learning opportunities for students in a higher education environment; or any combination of education and experience that would provide the competencies required to successfully discharge the duties assigned to this position.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, alumni, employers, faculty, and staff
- The ability to work and solve problems collaboratively and maintain a sense of cordiality in the workplace
- Ability to research and gather information regarding new and existing internship opportunities
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Master’s degree, substantial professional experience, or both
- Strong knowledge of career development topics including assessments, resumes and cover letters, job and internship search strategies, interviewing, and LinkedIn.
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing professional and collaborative relationships with students, alumni, staff, administrators, faculty, and employers; proven ability to collaborate and develop programming with multiple campus partners.
- Proficiency in program development and evaluation
- Experience with students from diverse backgrounds with varied academic and professional interests
- Familiarity and understanding of higher education, and specifically a liberal arts education
- Familiarity with NACE career readiness competencies
- Familiarity with corporate networking and recruiting
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, 12-month Letter of Appointment and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with more than 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students and 500+ full-time faculty members. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 70,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America ” in 2014. Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment.
In accordance with University policy, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations.
Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law.
References *References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant.
Testing Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions.
E mployment Eligibility. All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, August 15, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin on XXXX and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest – addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Cooperative & Experiential Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner