Academic and College Counselor
We're artists and educators. Strategists and problem solvers. Providers and caretakers. Optimizers and growth seekers.
We empower artists and art enthusiasts of all ages to live meaningful, creative lives—and we've been doing so for almost a century.
As an Interlochen employee, every position has an impact. You’ll invest in the lives of thousands of emerging artists. You’ll help craft amazing moments that our students will always remember. And you’ll be changed in the process.
We are looking for an Academic and College Counselor to join our Education team. In this role, you will have the following organizational impact:
- Introduce ninth and tenth grade students and families to the early stages of college planning and guide students in their junior, senior, and postgraduate years to identify and articulate appropriate higher education and postsecondary goals, and then to make actionable plans toward them.
- Counsel students and families using differentiated strategies appropriate to the student, their circumstances and abilities.
- Monitor students’ academic and artistic progress to ensure they are able to access necessary student student support services.
- Oversee and assist students with the college application process by providing educational opportunities, guiding college placement testing and writing college recommendation letters.
What you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in Counseling or another educationally related field preferred.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and anti-racism.
- Excellent advising, listening, organizational, and communication skills, as well as, time management and attention to detail are critical for success.
- A strong proficiency with MS Office, Google Workspace, and Zoom.
- A familiarity with the college application process, including college list construction, essay review, scholarship and financial aid guidance, curricular and standardized test advising, and a general admissions strategy.
Additional experience that would be helpful in this role:
- 3-5 years experience in college advisement and/or college admissions
- Knowledge of Naviance, Pearson Access, ETS Supervisors and Salesforce
- Familiarity navigating a Student Information System and/or Learning Management System
What you will get:
- Being a part of a mission and community that develops young artists. Interlochen Alumni are distinguished and include 2021 Emmy Award Nominees - Maya Erskine, Sydney James Harcourt, Ashley Park and Our Lady J.
- 42 week work schedule (summers off) and Sick Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life, Critical Illness and Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical and Childcare)
- Employer Paid Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Discounted Tuition for Academy, Camp and College of Creative Arts
- Discounted Concert Tickets (This year’s lineup includes Chicago, Harry Connick Jr. & his Band: Time to Play!, Foreigner: The Greatest Hits Tour, Jake Owen, Old Crow Medicine Show with Special Guest Molly Tuttle and Buddy Guy with Robert Randolph & The Family Band)
Location: Main campus is located in Interlochen, MI between Duck and Green Lake. 13 miles away from Traverse City, MI which was name #10 Most Arts Vibrant Middle Size Community by SMU DataArts and 2021 U.S. News Healthiest Communities.
Job posting will close on August 16, 2021.
We hone skills and mold minds. We forge lasting friendships. We provide unity through the universal language of the arts. It’s time to discover Interlochen. Apply today at https://careers.interlochen.org/employment-opportunities
A global destination for artists and arts enthusiasts, Interlochen Center for the Arts nurtures creativity through five dynamic platforms: Interlochen Arts Camp, the renowned summer arts program; Interlochen Arts Academy, the nation’s premier fine arts boarding high school; Interlochen Presents, a producer of more than 600 annual performances by internationally celebrated guest artists, Interlochen students, and faculty; Interlochen Public Radio, two listener-supported, 24-hour public radio stations (classical music and news); Interlochen College of Creative Arts, a convener for lifelong learning in the arts; and Interlochen Online the emerging leader in virtual arts education.
Since 1928, Interlochen’s mission to inspire people worldwide through excellence in the arts and education has produced generations of purposeful creative lives. For more information, visit interlochen.org. Follow Interlochen on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube at @interlochenarts.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Interlochen Center for the Arts is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, nationality, age, religion, citizenship, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender presentation, legal or preferred name, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other basis protected by law. This list is not exhaustive and we strive to do more than the law requires.