University Advancement pursues the mission to promote the
University of North Texas through inspiring the public to become
involved with the growth and progress of the university. The
division accomplishes this by establishing and continuing mutually
beneficial relationships that result in donations of time and
financial resources that support and empower the future leaders of
our generations. University Advancement is seeking to hire
an Assistant Director of Special Events to join our team. Special
Events is an integral part of the Development team. The Assistant
Director of Special Events is responsible for cultivation of
alumni, donors and friends. Emphasis is on successful
implementation and coordination of University Advancement and
Presidential events from start to finish. The Assistant Director’s
priority is to provide assistance and support with planning,
organizing and promoting events for the University as requested.
This position proactively supports the mission of and serves as an
ambassador for University Advancement and the University of North
- Assists the Director of Special Events in developing, planning,
coordinating, implementing and reporting on University Advancement
and Presidential events. Supports other fundraising and program
events throughout the year.
- Creates events, properly records and manages event RSVPs in
Raiser’s Edge or Blackbaud NXT for University Advancement
and college development events. Make daily updates and send weekly
to Senior Staff and Development Officers.
- Keeps accurate purchasing records and is responsible for
- Enter contact reports on current and new relationships
established with event attendees.
- Organize event staff and volunteers.
- Actively participate in event planning meetings.
- Liaise with donors, alumni, senior staff, faculty, and other
staff as needed for events.
- Represent the university as a professional staff member at all
times in attitude, dress and interaction.
- Participate in and support any special project fundraising for
university priorities as assigned by Senior Staff.
- Create event briefings to be distributed to Senior Staff one
week prior to event. Daily updates as needed up to day of
- Manage relationships and coordinate with event vendors such as
parking, catering, audio visual, setup, photographers, venues and
- Coordinate and strategize invitations lists for
- Manage inventory of equipment and supplies to run events.
- Create and maintain event checklists, event floor diagrams,
schedules and budgets.
Bachelor’s Degree and two years of professional experience in
marketing, fundraising, event planning, public relations, corporate
account sales, or communications; or any equivalent combination of
education, training, and experience.
• Working knowledge of the development field.
• Knowledge of accepted business practices and procedures.
• Ability to establish and maintain cordial, productive, and
professional working relationships with internal and external
• Ability to manage time, personnel, financial, and physical
• Exceptional communications skills.
• Ability to master University policies and procedures and apply
these in specific situations.
• Some knowledge of philanthropy and fundraising principles or
ability quickly assimilate.
* Exceptional attention to details and deadlines.
* Availability to work some evenings and/or weekends.
* Excellent communication and writing skills.
* Excellent customer service skills.
* Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work
* Demonstrate ability to take responsibility for a diverse number
of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited
* Strong organization and administrative skills.
* Strong internet, web and email skills.
* Strong computer skills, knowledgeable in Microsoft Office with
emphasis on Outlook, Word and Excel.
* Experience using Microsoft Planner Boards and Teams.
* Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or
Blackbaud NXT software a plus.
* Certified Meeting Planner (CMP) designation a plus.
* Successful candidate must be able to perform light lifting of
chairs and tables if event set-ups need minor changes. Must be able
to lift up to 15-20 pounds.
The University of North Texas System and its component
institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all
applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and
affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its
component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or
veteran status in its application and admission processes,
educational programs and activities, and employment practices.