Associate Director for Leadership and Civic Engagement
Reporting to the director, this position leads the strategic advancement, execution, and day to day operations for leadership education development and civic engagement opportunities for the Virginia Tech community. The associate director will provide significant leadership and direction in the creation of the student leadership and civic engagement experience at Virginia Tech. The associate director will utilize leadership and civic engagement theory and approaches to support faculty with their leadership curricula and experiences. A successful candidate will have experience in creating a robust leadership and civic engagement comprehensive program for the Hokie community. In this position, the associate director will:
• Lead multiple campus wide initiatives for leadership education including but not limited to; the I WILL Leadership Institute, Lead for Good program, and the annual ACC Leadership Symposium cohort experience.
• Support civic engagement efforts serving as a co-chair on the Civic Engagement Coalition and providing representation on various civic engagement organizations and committees.
• Supervise the assistant director for leadership and civic engagement and several student employees within the office.
• Serve as the primary contact for the Leadership and Social Change Residential College to ensure VT Engage is providing continuing support to this community.
• Lead the assessment and communication efforts for the department by providing oversight to the communication plan for the department which includes several social media accounts.
• Manage the annual Undergraduate of the Year selection process on behalf of Student Affairs.
• Represent the VT Engage team at a high level to include serving on various committees to advance leadership and civic engagement while expanding the Centers mission and vision among various university and community stakeholders.
The selected individual must be an educator committed to student success, learning, and diversity and inclusion. A Master’s degree in Higher Education/Student Affairs Administration or related field. Substantive experience working with college students; working with and/or direct advisement of leadership programming; demonstrated experience working with civic engagement programs, strong programming experience, demonstrated experience in supervision of students and professionals, and an attention to detail. Demonstrated organizational, leadership, and communication and presentation skills to support the growing portfolio of the VT Engage. Able to navigate complex university structures.
The enthusiastic support of The Division’s Aspirations for Student Learning, the mission of Virginia Tech, including Inclusive VT, Beyond Boundaries, and our land grant spirit are required.
Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities and take initiative in a dynamic, fast paced environment. Ability to work collaboratively with a team of colleagues and serve as a representative for the department. Ability to successfully maintain programmatic excellence and to support student success. A criminal background check is required.
Demonstrated experience in student affairs, leadership education curriculum development, programmatic assessment, and supervision. Demonstrated ability to build and develop innovative partnerships on behalf of the department.
Starting salary $55,000
August 10th, 2021
About Student Affairs:
Student Affairs’ Aspirations for Student Learning serve as a framework for our roles as educators as we work alongside students to encapsulate their learning into a strengths-based discovery of their talent so they may: commit to unwavering curiosity ; pursue self-understanding and integrity ; practice civility ; prepare for a life of courageous leadership ; and ultimately , embrace Ut Prosim as a way of life . We operationalize these aspirations through ExperienceVT whereby we work alongside undergraduate, graduate and professional students to create a customized plan for their experience designed to accomplish their individual goals. We measure our success by the success of our students. To that end, we will do whatever it takes to support the individual well-being and success of every student at Virginia Tech
VT Engage: The Center for Leadership and Service Learning enhances the student experience by providing leadership education, civic engagement and service learning opportunities within the Virginia Tech and New River Valley communities, the Commonwealth, nationally, and globally. Our team works to equip civic leaders to create a more just world. The VT Engage team creates experiences that advance community priorities, contribute to student development, and embody Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). VT Engage is dedicated to the mission of the Division of Student Affairs. Furthermore, this role will lead the charge on the implementation of our core values into our everyday work. These core values are: increasing equity in every aspect of our work, investing in mutually beneficial partnerships, developing self-understanding and leadership identity, and advancing community-engaged scholarship.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Meghan Kuhn at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 17, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Education Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Education Administration & Leadership Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Deans Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg