Human Resources Assistant
The Human Resources Assistant acts in the capacity of administrative assistant to ensure office operates smoothly. This position assists department in carrying out various human resources programs and procedures for all University employees.
Essential functions will include:
- Serves as the office administrative assistant by ordering department supplies, opening and distributing mail, answering the telephone, scheduling appointments, and greeting and assisting visitors to the office.
- Opens office every morning by unlocking all offices, turning on AC/Heat, and checking paper level in copier.
- Respond daily to all emails in the human_resources mailbox or forwards to appropriate party.
- Assists department in implementing human resources programs and procedures and provides effective internal and external customer relations support.
- Assists in the new hire orientation process including creating packets, conducting a campus tour to obtain office keys, ID card and parking sticker, and creating a mailbox label.
- Maintains Human Resources department records and filing system, including daily filing and annual personnel file purge.
- Processes background checks for all employees, vendors and volunteers on campus. Creates and processes invoices for vendor background checks.
- Assists with the posting of vacant positions by drafting ads and screening questions for Assistant Director and hiring manager approval, and scheduling interview appointments for HR staff.
- Processes new hire paperwork to include drafting conditional and formal offer letters for Assistant Director to review, requesting IT and facilities setup, requesting keys, and ordering business cards/name badges.
- Processes change and termination employee request forms; responsible for ensuring that all information is included and accurate.
- Processes new hire and terminations for library employees, and enters them into benefit system.
- Monitors and follows up with new hire requirements signed job description, completed trainings, benefit sign-up, and attendance for Mission Orientation.
- Processes payment for miscellaneous Human Resources bills.
- Coordinates all HR related events including Partners in Mission, the annual benefits fair, Distinguished Staff nominations, and the annual Christmas luncheon.
- Assists the department with data management of all human resources systems.
- Responsible for office space maintenance and organization all spaces/closets should be maintained neat and orderly.
- Knowledge: Bachelor's degree preferably in Human Resources Management.
- Experience: Two years of office management experience required; HR or Payroll field preferred. Requires prior knowledge of principles and practices of human resources.
- Skills/Aptitude: Must be willing to work in a team environment. One must be adept at working with numbers, proficient in Microsoft Office, and experience working with HRIS/Payroll software. Requires demonstrated ability to effectively and proactively respond to internal and external customer needs and requests. Requires excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills. Requires excellent organizational skills and the ability to lift up to 20 lbs. Must be able to function in a fast-paced environment and work independently.
- Working Conditions: Normal office environment.
All applicants must submit:
- Cover letter
- Salary requirements
- Contact information for 3 professional references
Notre Dame of Maryland University does not discriminate in offering equal access to its educational programs and activities or with respect to employment terms and conditions on the basis of age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or protected veteran's status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policy: Greg FitzGerald, Chief of Staff, Notre Dame of Maryland University, 4701 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21210, 410-532-5109.
For all other employment inquiries, please contact Human Resources at 410-532-5898 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Notre Dame of Maryland University is an EEO/AA employer.