Provide public service assistance to library patrons, supervise
student workers at the Circulation Desk, and perform clerical and
Degree of Independent Action Performed
- Oversee the operations of the Circulation Desk and supervise
student workers in absence of Circulation Coordinator.
- Provide on-demand general circulation functions using the
online library management system. Assist patrons with the use of
library resources in all formats including: digital collections,
computers, printers, microform equipment, and circulating media
- Reshelve materials.
- Monitor patrons and visitors in building.
- Work on special projects, as assigned.
Incumbent is expected to work with a high level of independence and
autonomy, and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and
judgment in decisions impacting staff and department
Expected to solve problems or address issues that require immediate
Indirect: Oversees attendance and work of student employees in
absence of Circulation Coordinator
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with students, Dean of Students office, PEA
administrative and academic offices, faculty, coaches, and staff.
External contacts may include parents, alumni, visitors and local
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree.
Skills & Knowledge
- Library experience preferred.
- Strong customer-service skills.
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
- Ability to open/close building.
- Ability to understand, discuss and apply policies, procedures
and proposed changes as needed/required.
- Working knowledge of library terms, knowledge of basic library
research methodology and the ability to conduct simple
bibliographic searches in the library management system.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an
orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in
all aspects of Academy life.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
and deadlines simultaneously, with accuracy.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office suite and Windows
operating system required, plus the ability to learn additional
applications as needed.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including during
- Responsibility for building safety in the absence of a
- Ability to take action to deal with disruptive or problem