Community Relations Strategist
Community Relations Strategist
Locations: Wright College and Downtown District Office
CityColleges of Chicago (CCC) , the largest community college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five satellite sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year access to a quality, affordable education.
The Office of Legislative and Community Affairs provides legislative, regulatory, and financial support to CCC through proactive representation before the City of Chicago City Council, the Illinois General Assembly, the offices of Illinois constitutional officers, and the United States Congress. Our goals are to ensure public understanding of CCC’s programs and initiatives, ascertain public attitudes toward issues in education, and identify the public’s educational expectations for their students.
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, Legislative and Community Affairs, the Community Relations Strategist manages community relations efforts and performs functions to effectively support and promote CCC by maintaining positive relations and working collaboratively with government offices, local campuses and surrounding community.
The Community Relations Strategist works to increase and deepen the community’s awareness of CCC’s academic and vocational programs, strengthen existing partnerships, and cultivates new opportunities and relationships with community, civic and business groups.
- Works with the Vice Chancellor and outreach team to create strategies that allow CCC to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted community-based organizations, elected officials and government entities
- Participates in the implementation of strategic community outreach plan, working towards sustaining excellence in community engagement through appropriate programs, networks, relationships, and structures
- Supports districtwide community outreach and engagements efforts, maintaining positive relations between government offices, local campuses, and the surrounding community to effectively promote CCC’s educational programs and improve the educational experience of its students
- Work closely with the Mayor’s Office of community engagement staff to plan summer activities for students
- Updates and maintain CRM (Salesforce) system to reflect current interactions districtwide
- Maintains regular contact with community leaders with ongoing communication and updates
- Develops and maintains relationships with community and faith-based organizations, business and civic groups, government officials, and other key stakeholders to sustain positive community engagement
- Identifies and develops innovative ways to tell the story of CCC to external partners, including the role and mission of CCC and its relation to the people and communities it serves
- Works collaboratively with the Marketing Department in planning and implementing communications initiatives to effectively represent and promote CCC to a variety of audiences and help increase student enrollmen
- Advances CCC’s brand identity by organizing and implementing community promotional and outreach activities designed to broaden awareness and increase the visibility of CCC and its programs across key targeted audiences
- Identifies opportunities to expand community engagement and represents CCC at community events to maintain a presence in the community and to promote CCC’s mission and academic programs
- W orks with Associate Vice Chancellor to create strategies that allow senior leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including elected officials and government partners
- Creates and maintains a database of contacts for the department
- Promotes the integration of regulatory, political, and market expectations that support each college’s strategic plan
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or a related field. Master’s Degree preferred
- Two years of work experience in a higher education setting, non-profit service organization or the private sector related to community relations and developing community relationships.
- Bilingual skills in English/Spanish highly desirable
- Must be able to work occasional nights and weekends as required
- Demonstrated experience and skill in public speaking
- Valid State of Illinois driver’s license
- May be required to use personal vehicle in the course of work, for which a monthly mileage stipend is provided
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
WE OFFER: Excellent health and welfare benefit package and long term savings and investment programs including 403(b) & 457(b) Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State University Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous vacation, holiday, personal and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Thank you for your interest in City College of Chicago!
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago