Senior Administrative Assistant (14337)
The Dean’s Office in the School of Public Affairs (SPA) at American University is hiring a Senior Administrative Assistant whose primary function is to provide administrative and programmatic support primarily to SPA’s Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education and secondarily to SPA’s Senior Associate Dean. The SPA Dean’s Office is a collegial and collaborative environment. The position’s work includes a wide range of duties such as maintaining calendars, creating new databases and processes, preparing draft Word and Excel documents and editing documents. S/he coordinates the collection, compilation and submission of data to the associate deans for tracking course schedules, special initiatives, curriculum proposals and new programs. The incumbent works with the deans on the coordination of Academic Integrity Code cases, academic course scheduling, course catalog changes, and curriculum updates. The position is ideal for someone interested in working on academic planning and accessing the resources of a dynamic university. The position will work with SPA faculty and staff, as well as other administrative units across the university. This position requires self-direction and attention to detail.
- Students & Academics. Oversees the curriculum proposal process, working closely with SPA’s Education Policy Committee and the Office of the Registrar, and tracks changes to the SPA course catalog throughout the year. S/he assists the Associate Dean in the academic awards nomination process and the undergraduate donor-funded scholarship application processing, tracking submissions and final decisions. Assists the Associate Dean in administering the Public Affairs Policy Lab and the OLLI Fall Faculty lecture series. Coordinates with SPA’s Events Team on planning academic events such as the Speed Mentoring Event and Undergraduate Hackathon.. Performs occasional graphic design work for event fliers and advertisements.
- Administrative Support. Supports the Senior Associate Dean for
Academic Affairs and the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education
in their administrative roles on behalf of the School. Duties
include maintaining calendars, scheduling appointments, preparing
reimbursement paperwork, assisting in the completion of
administrative forms, cataloging important forms, creating new
databases and processes, preparing drafts and editing documents
with limited supervision. Coordinates the collection, analyses,
compilation and submission of data for documents and reports.
Serves as a liaison between the deans, departmental, and central
- Serves as the coordinator of Academic Integrity Code (AIC)
cases for the SPA AIC Officer. This involves helping to gather
evidence for AIC cases (including researching and comparing
possible plagiarized documents), drafting and sending letters and
memos to students charged as well as the relevant faculty members,
chairs and program directors; preparing folders for the students
and AIC Officer, coordinating any AIC faculty – student panels and
keeping records of AIC case resolutions. This requires discretion,
precision and timely action to resolve cases in an efficient and
fair manner. Each AIC case requires about four to eight hours of
work depending on the complexity of the case. There will be
approximately 7-15 cases a semester. Researches current SPA
treatment of AIC cases, and how to help curtail the continuing
problem of plagiarism and other infractions of the AU AIC,
particularly in the case of online classes.
- Works with the Associate Dean, Sr. Associate Dean, and SPA
department staff assistants on academic schedule development to
make sure all SPA courses are scheduled according to guidelines set
forth by the Office of the Registrar. Assists other SPA schedulers
- Assists dean’s office staff during peak periods and at
unit-wide programs and events. Provides back up to the dean’s
office reception desk and the special assistant to the dean as
needed. Occasional other duties as assigned.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Associate A
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1-3 years of relevant experience
- A minimum of two years of administrative support experience
- Demonstrated computer proficiency, including expertise in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills and the ability to work independently
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be detail and results oriented
- Ability to work on multiple tasks with limited supervision
- Problem-solving skills, and the ability to exercise sound judgment
- High level of discretion and the ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment and handle multiple tasks with limited supervision
Preferred Education and Experience
- Administrative work experience in higher education
- Experience using Sharepoint, Lotus Notes, Ellucian Colleague, Canva, and Outlook is desired
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Other Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.