Assistant Athletics Communications Director
To create a Posting, first complete the information on this screen, then click the 'Next' button or select the page in the left hand navigation menu. Proceed through all sections completing all necessary information. To submit the Posting to Human Resources, you must go to the 'Posting Summary Page' by clicking on the 'Next' button until you reach the Posting Summary Page or select Posting Summary Page from the left navigation menu. Once a summary page appears, hover your mouse over the orange Action button for a list of possible approval step options.
Working Title Assistant Athletics Communications Director Department Sports Information Compensation Title Position Number 30025075 Position Status Regular Work Schedule
Varies; nights and weekends will be required. Travel will be required. Hours per Week 37.5 Months per Year 12 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University ( NKU ) seeks excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty and staff and by embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive excellence.
Purpose of Position
The Assistant Athletics Communication Director is responsible to the Assistant Athletic Director for Communication and Media Services for all duties associated with the planning and implementing of the Athletic Department’s communication strategy in accordance with Northern Kentucky University ( NKU ), Horizon League, and the National Collegiate Athletic Association ( NCAA ) guidelines. The Assistant Athletics Communication Director is responsible for coordinating the communication efforts – including, but not limited to, news releases, media accommodations, website content, social media content, sport statistics, digital media, athletic publications, etc. – for the women’s basketball team and a minimum of two additional sports. The Assistant Athletics Communication Director will communicate effectively within the athletic department, as well as campus marketing and communications, to promote the University’s athletics programs. The Assistant Athletics Communication Director aids the Assistant AD for Communications and Media Services in development of programming, promotional activities, public relations and support services. The Assistant Athletics Communication Director will also work closely with the Director of Digital Media and student workers.
Compliance with NCAA rules is of the utmost importance at Northern Kentucky University. As a member of the athletics department staff it is expected that the Assistant Athletics Communication Director will have a full understanding of the NCAA rules that pertain to the position. It is also expected that the Assistant Athletics Communication Director will comply with all NCAA rules and if he/she becomes aware, or have reasonable cause to believe, that a violation of a rule has occurred he/she will immediately report it to the Director of Athletics or his/her designee. Primary Responsibilities
Regular Duties Performed Daily or Almost Daily:
1. Full communication support for women’s basketball and a minimum of two (2) additional sports programs.
2. Prepare, maintain and distribute media information as well as other publicity for assigned programs.
3. Produce content for distribution to media outlets, NKUNorse.com and Norse Athletics social media accounts, including, but not limited to, recaps, previews, press releases, graphics, digital media, etc.
4. Coordinate student-athlete media appearances for assigned programs.
5. Pitch story ideas to local, regional and national media.
6. Provide support to the department’s digital (video) efforts, including features and assistance with live broadcast production of home sporting events. This may also include assisting with creation of video content.
7. Work closely with all broadcast partners to provide accurate information on teams.
8. Nominate and promote honors and awards for student-athletes, coaches and administrators.
9. In coordination with the Assistant Athletic Director for Communication and Media Services, assist in the daily management of NKUNorse.com, which may include being the primary liaison with NKU’s website provider.
10. Provide support for select athletic events not part of assigned sports.
11. Update daily statistics, records and historical facts. Maintain and provide departmental statistics for report to NCAA, Horizon League, opponents, media and the campus.
12. Supervise student employees, which includes managing student schedules and hiring responsibilities as necessary.
13. Supervise statistical crews and other event support personnel.
14. Develop a positive relationship with all media outlets and provide services to radio/TV personalities. Also, edit the content and provide editorial support for other sports.
15. Comply with NKU, Horizon League and NCAA regulations.
Periodic Duties Recurring at Fixed Intervals :
1. Report to NCAA, National Coaches Associations and the Horizon League weekly updates on statistics for the sports programs.
2. Travel with selected teams during the regular season and post season.
Occasional Duties Performed:
1. Work with the Go Norse Fund to promote fund-raising events, i.e. golf outings, galas, online auctions, etc.
2. Coordinate with marketing, ticketing and promotions to aid in ticket sales.
3. Other duties as assigned.
1. Good organizational skills
2. Good communication skills
3. Good interpersonal skills
4. Display leadership skills
5. Use tact
6. Be motivated
7. Use integrity
8. Be professional
9. Be loyal
10. Use fairness and equitable treatment of others
11. Display public relation skills
12. Promotion of programs
13. Promptness and attendance Qualifications
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and two or more years of related experience
Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, NCAA Live Stats and StatCrew
Position requires considerable initiative, creativity and independence
Evidence of strong communication skills
Three or more years of related experience
Review of applicants will begin immediately. Apply before August 4th for full consideration.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law. Minimum Education Bachelor's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree Minimum Experience 2 years Salary tbd Pay Grade S70
Requisition Number 2021S1408 Job Open Date 07/19/2021 Job Close Date 08/04/2021 Open Until Filled No Quick Link https://jobs.nku.edu/postings/10564 Is this an internal only posting? Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- NKU Jobs Site
- Inside Higher Ed
- Employee Referral
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application