Communications Specialist 1
University Job Family
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
VP Student Affairs
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The chief purpose of this position is to support the housing
communication and marketing efforts for Residential Life and
Housing. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing
in the Division of Student Affairs, this position will provide
support in the areas of graphic design, marketing campaigns,
content development and social media. Responsibilities include, but
are not limited to: developing of a marketing plan, designing print
and electronic communication and marketing materials, managing
digital platforms such as social media and the website and
effectiveness of communication and marketing initiatives. In
addition, the Communications Specialist will help support and
contribute to communications and marketing initiatives for the
Minimum Hiring Standards
• B.A./B.S. in communications, marketing or related field, or
equivalent training and/or experience.
• Familiarity with designing cohesive marketing collateral and
• Ability to manage multiple projects with a high degree of
accuracy to meet deadlines.
• Experience creating and implementing email marketing
• Demonstrated knowledge of prominent social media platforms.
• Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design
• Evidence of strong communication skills, including listening,
writing, and speaking.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
• Capacity to work creatively in both collaborative and independent
• Strong customer service skills.
• Ability to make efficient use of available resources.
• Ability to understand and comply with University and State
policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment,
maintain confidentiality, and work under multiple deadlines.
• Ability to work strategically in a fast paced, complex work
environment while effectively interacting with diverse groups of
people and meeting deadlines.
• Demonstrated commitment to student success.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Ability to author, develop and update online content.
• Knowledge of AP style.
• Knowledge of photograph and videography best practices and
• Working knowledge of software applications such as Microsoft
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Familiarity with data analytics and reporting.
• Familiarity with web accessibility standards.
• Experience in a higher education setting.
• Knowledge of Division goals, operations, personnel, functions,
services, facilities, and programs.
• Knowledge of student development, student learning outcomes and
assessment, student affairs.
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
$40,000 - 45,000
Application Process/Additional Information
Please upload a portfolio that includes professional examples of
marketing, communications and graphic design projects. For best
consideration, please submit your application by July 9.
Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document