Instructional Design Specialist
Job Code/Title 80041 - H - Instructional Design Specialist 1 Position Number HU1536 Working Title Instructional Design Specialist Department VP For Inclusive Excellence Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $25-28/ hour Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Hourly Hours/Week 20-28 Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Miscellaneous Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical No Description of the Job
The Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness and Success ( IES ) advances VCU’s commitment to the success and wellbeing of its faculty, staff, students, team members, patients and surrounding communities. From its work in the areas of equal opportunity and outreach to collective urban and regional impact, IES translates philosophy into practice to achieve education and health equity for all.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Informed by a knowledge of pedagogical best practices for engagement and inclusion, the Instructional Designer collaborates with faculty colleagues to develop high quality online, blended, and technology-enhanced courses. These collaborations will primarily serve IExcel Education within the Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness and Success.
The specialist effectively supports the design, redesign, and delivery of courses using learning management systems ( LMS ). They shall:
- Partner with subject matter experts to design impactful courses
- Maximize learner engagement by creating novel learning objects, activities, and course content
- Collaborate with instructors, IExcel Education leadership, and others to produce relevant, timely, high-quality, and strategically-aligned deliverables
The specialist contributes to inclusive excellence in teaching and learning. They will:
- Advance and actualize institutional commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Partner with stakeholders across and beyond the institution to achieve pedagogical and enrollment goals
- May personally instruct/ facilitate courses
As needed, assists with registration, scheduling, evaluation, and other program areas Required Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree or education and relevant experience that equates to a bachelor’s degree
- Experience designing courses for online or blended delivery
- Demonstrated experience with a learning management system ( LMS )
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written communication and cooperation skills
- Proven ability to work as a contributing and collegial member of a diverse team, and to communicate proactively within the team environment
- Organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects within deadlines Preferred Qualifications
- Proficiency in Canvas
- Experience with diversity and with inclusive teaching strategies
- Experience deploying learning technologies for training
- Job-related professional experience at a college or university
- Knowledge of adult learning principles, pedagogical techniques, and disciplines such as Instructional Design, Learning Technologies, Curriculum and Instruction, Adult Learning, Education
-Some knowledge of graphic design and or the ability to create visually engaging content
Job Open Date 07/19/2021 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
The following documents are required:
1. Cover Letter/Letter of Application
3. Diversity Statement*
*Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences, and academic and professional activities will impact your contributions to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally BIPOC groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience
Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/108021 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Please describe your experience working collaboratively with a
diverse team of individuals
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe examples of the online courses you have developed
including how you presented content in those courses.
(Open Ended Question)
Have you developed an online course within Canvas?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)