University of Idaho
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $15.23 per hour or higher depending on experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
The incumbent will work under supervision of Director of Pomology and Viticulture Program (PVP) at the University of Idaho Parma Research and Extension Center. The individual will be responsible for all cultural practices, including calculations of chemicals, preparation and application of pesticide, fungicides, and herbicides in timely fashion while following safety measures, according to available spray models and in consultation with specialists. The incumbent will assist in various aspects of fruit crop research, including but not limited to: irrigation, spraying, fertilizer applications, design of experiments in orchard and vineyard layouts, analysis, collection, and review of research samples and data in the field or Pomology laboratory, in support of physiology and production of fruit crops at the Parma Research and Extension Center and at off-site cooperative growers under the supervision of PVP Director. In consultation with PVP Director, the incumbent will hire and train workers from independent licensed contractors, teach workers safety requirements, work with and supervise the workers in all cultural practices, including but limited to: planting, installing support and irrigation systems, training and pruning trees and vines, thinning, and harvesting. The incumbent will also work closely with employees and other technicians, staff, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, visiting scientists and co-workers in a team effort. The incumbent will also perform farming and maintenance duties of various orchard/vineyard machinery and tools, operation of irrigation wells and minor repair of the irrigation well, and repair and maintenance of tractors and orchard vehicles. This is an essential position that will be called upon in the event of an emergency and/or University closure.*
- One year of laboratory or field experience.
- Education: B.S degree
- Experience in: operation and maintenance of a variety of laboratory equipment and methodologies in agricultural crop production, the safe use of electrical and hand operated shop tools, and Good Laboratory Practice Standards (GLPS) and their application.
- Three years experience in agricultural crop production.
- Experience keeping complete and accurate records.
- Thorough knowledge of methods used in irrigation systems and practices.
- Knowledge of: agricultural chemicals and their safe use; laboratory chemicals and their safe use.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to carry, lift or otherwise move items of at least 50 pounds.
Posting Number: SP002700P
Posting Date: 01/28/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Please note that this position is located in Parma, ID. Applications received by July 15, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.