Research & Operations Associate
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Initiative for Energy Justice (IEJ) was founded by lawyers entrenched in the policy debates concerning the nation's transition away from fossil fuels and an extractive economy towards an equitable and renewable energy future, with direct connections to communities working on that transition.
IEJ aims to contribute to a bottom-up movement of energy justice, originating in frontline communities, by arming movement and base-building organizations in environmental, racial, and economic justice spaces with well-supported policy research and workable transactional models for operationalizing a just transition to renewable energy. IEJ also provides city and state policymakers with concrete energy policy frameworks and best-practice tools that foreground equity in the transition to renewable energy, drawing on the best-available data collected from frontline advocates, existing energy policies, and frameworks designed by our team.
IEJ seeks a Research and Operations Associate to coordinate research projects and assist with operational tasks. The Research and Operations Associate will:
- Coordinate IEJ's research team via weekly call agendas, notes,
and organizing tasks and timelines
- Conduct research and produced written resources for IEJ
audiences on topics including community solar, rooftop solar, and
clean energy standards
- Support IEJ operations, including grants and admin
Key Responsibilities and typical amount of time:
Coordinate IEJ research team (30%):
via weekly call agendas, notes, and organizing tasks and timelines
- Organize team meetings and provide general project management for IEJ research team (staff and students) through meeting facilitation and tracking project progress
- Schedule meetings and coordinate with external partners and stakeholders about current or potential projects
Research and writing (30%):
on topics including community solar, rooftop solar, and clean energy standards
- Research various energy justice issues, including via academic literature, practitioner/NGO reports, and other regulatory and policy resources
- Produce written resources including internal memos, policy briefs, reports, and other tools for IEJ's core audiences of energy activists and regulators
Support IEJ's operations (40%):
Including grants and administrative responsibilities
- Provide project management for IEJ's grants tasks, such tracking deadlines, drafting content, and submitting applications and reports
- Assist with administrative needs such as logistics for processing contracts, finance tasks, and new employee or student onboarding
- Support development of IEJ communications including email newsletters as well as web and social media posts
-Undergraduate degree preferred OR commensurate amount of experience (4 years)
-Strong writing and editing skills
-Basic experience with energy justice research
-Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice
-Intermediate understanding of energy policy and field of energy justice, equity, and democracy
-Experience with project management software such Asana
This position will be remote. Please provide your resume and cover letter in your application.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/507170