Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
Director of Financial Planning and Analysis
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
Northeastern University seeks a culturally competent, creative, and forward-thinking Director of Financial Planning and Analysis, who will serve as an integral member of the Finance team. The Director contributes to the university's success by providing guidance on strategy and operations. The role requires the person to skillfully balance daily execution with the long-term development of a team. A successful Director will be able to provide strong vision and direction for the team while fostering bottom-up input and participation in process-improvement from all levels of the organization. The incumbent will lead the department to elevate existing processes and tools in order to meet the needs of the university's global expansion. The Director oversees the development, implementation, and control of effective, integrated policies, practices, and systems for budgeting and reporting on revenues, expenditures and adjustments to the operating budget. This person supervises the work of the department to ensure that all functions operate smoothly and accurately. The director also oversees the preparation of studies, executive-level presentations, and financial reports.
- Partnering with the Office of the Provost, serve as functional
owner of the architecture and periodic remodeling of the
university's Hybrid Budget Model, ensuring it evolves with and
fully supports the university's changing needs
- Participate in the development of university's business plans
and programs; provide strategic financial input and guidance on
decision making to units, colleges, VP of Finance and SVP of
- Review/update investment results in various plans &
programs to assess progress/success and milestones, providing
insight for additional funding or program continuation
- Drive the financial planning process at the unit and college
department level, inclusive of kickoff meetings, deadlines,
assumptions, data format/loads, as it applies to budgets,
forecasts, and long-term plans
- Consolidate the business unit forecast/plans into overall
university reporting to build a composite view of the university
including incomes, expenses, margins, cash flow and balance sheet
- Measure the effectiveness of the planning process
- Conduct study of units, colleges, and other ad hoc needs
(geographic locations, academic programs, mergers/acquisitions,
- Ensure timely and accurate business/financial reports and
plans; share with all business areas to increase financial
transparency in management reporting and business line
- Develop relevant reporting which includes financial and
operating information including data preparation, report creation
and quality control; strive to deliver insight, consistent data and
effective visualizations; reports may also include variance
investigation of actual spending to forecast, plan and historical
level, with explanations of trends and root causes
- Responsible for inventory of reports that delivers the right
information to the right person at the right time; this includes
maintenance of existing, development of new, and retirement of
outdated reports and key metrics
- Apply financial expertise with a firm understanding of finance
and accounting concepts, superb analytical abilities and strong
attention to detail
- Lead and develop employees through professional development,
coaching, feedback, mentoring and creating career paths for team
- Attract talent by making the department a desired campus
employer; draw talent in and send it out to the university;
establish and promote the department's and Finance's brand for
excellence and employee development
- Finance partner to university's business units and colleges.
Leverages interpersonal skills and builds partnerships based on
honesty, cooperation, and excitement
- Manage the departmental interface with Accounting, Treasury,
Enrollment Management, Advancement and the Office of the
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration,
finance or related business field required.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional financial/accounting
experience with a track record of increased responsibilities,
including management of a team
- Experience with U.S. and International accounting principles,
financial reporting, forecasting, budgeting, and review across the
income statement, balance sheet and statement of cash
- Experience with consolidations (mergers and acquisitions) and
multi-unit/business line reporting structures
- Expert financial modeling, especially reading into assumptions
and calculations developed by others, finding logical flaws and
strength of design
- Data management experience, including data
- Expertise in MS Office Suite including advanced Excel and
- Strong project management skills
- Strong presentation and executive communication
- Ability to communicate and advocate for policies effectively
with personnel at all levels of the University.
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong skills in financial
analysis, leadership, and organization.
- Must be able to drive results in a fast-paced environment,
working both independently and collaboratively.
- MBA or an advanced degree in finance preferred.
- Preferred certifications: CPA, CTP, CFA, FP&A
- Experience in higher education or non-profits preferred
A criminal background check is required for this position.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/507147