The Content Writer/Editor is a member of the Provost Communications team and plays a critical role in meeting the mission and strategic communication goals of the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost (EVP&P). The Content Writer/Editor will research, write, edit, and proofread content for various platforms, and will generate news and feature stories, as well as web and story content to support the strategic priorities of the university and its academic enterprise. The Provost Communications team works closely with University Relations to create stories, web/social media content, and other marketing and promotional assets that have informational and visual appeal for numerous internal and external audiences.
Reporting to the Associate Vice Provost for Communications, the Content Writer/Editor will play a key role in developing and coordinating essential communications that will highlight the strategies and activities related to the foundational initiatives critical to achieving the strategic goals of the institution. This position will actively contribute to identifying and creating important messaging opportunities to showcase interdisciplinary projects and programs, partnerships and collaborations across the Commonwealth of Virginia (particularly in northern Virginia and Roanoke), and community enrichment and service impacts that advance our land-grant mission. The Content Writer/Editor will write in a variety of styles, from profiles to social media posts to news stories, and on various deadlines, from daily assignments to longer-term projects. The Content Writer/Editor may be required to travel for the purpose of writing stories, which may include overnights and weekends.
• Demonstrated track record of writing experience in a communications or related field
• Portfolio that demonstrates excellent writing and editing skills and versatility in a range of writing styles, with the ability to make complex stories interesting and understandable
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Experience interviewing a wide range of sources
• Experience using the Macintosh platform, Microsoft Office applications, and content management systems
• Ability to work under pressure, prioritize competing assignments, and organize work to meet deadlines
• Ability to work individually and within a team environment, alongside writers, editors, photographers, web and graphic designers, video producers, marketers, stakeholders, and more, in order to accomplish objectives
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, communications, or related discipline with professional experience that equates to an advance degree; or a combination of education and experience that equates to an advance degree
Must have the ability and willingness to travel utilizing standard, commercial, and/or personal modes of transportation.
• Master’s degree in a related field
• Experience in news and/or web and social media writing and editing
• Experience in a digitally driven storytelling environment
• Knowledge of standard copyediting marks
• Experience writing and editing in Associated Press style
• Demonstrated copyediting experience
• Experience working in a content management system
• An understanding of graphic design, photography, video, and/or branding/marketing principles
• Experience measuring the performance of content and audience behavior
• Knowledge of Virginia Tech
• Experience in a higher education environment
August 6, 2021
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Lisha Farrier at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: July 17, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Communications Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Communications Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Humanities Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- English & Literature Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg