The University of Colorado Boulder and Housing and Dining Services is seeking applicants for a Sous Chef! Our Sous Chef will receive full benefits, such as: EcoPass; 22 vacation days; access to medical, dental, vision, and life insurance; tuition reimbursement; a 10% employer contribution retirement plan, and more!
This is a hands-on culinary working position that provides extensive oversight, leadership and input in their assigned dining location and overall dining services when needed. In the absence of the Executive Sous Chef, this position will assume the duties and responsibilities of that position. This position exists to assign and delegate standardized recipe preparation, ensuring quality, A9 and food safety standards are followed in the specific assigned production area. Leads the work of others in the kitchen, including performance plans and review for Head Line Cooks and BOH Dining Attendants in the kitchen, all while offering excellent customer service in a team-driven and supported environment.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Campus Dining Services exists to provide 3.3 million meals per year for the students, staff, faculty, and guests of the university. We are comprised of Residential Dining Halls, Catering and Retail outlets which operate year-round. Campus Dining leads the industry with outstanding quality food and exceptional dining experiences. We continue to expand our sustainability initiatives and reduce our carbon footprint in our daily operations, including efforts in resource recovery, conservation, and food sourcing. We are committed to providing options and information to all of our guests with dietary restrictions and allergens, including vegan, vegetarian, kosher and Halal choices, supported by a strong allergen awareness program called A9 ® Identified.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Provide and ensure customer service standards are met in assigned functional area.
- Ensure all ParTech and A9 labeling procedures are followed, including verifying accurate labeling, troubleshooting equipment and staff education.
- Conduct audits of efficiency and effectiveness to manage and control cost.
- Assist in creation of standardized operating procedures and training methods.
- Ensure all areas are setup and broken down in accordance with SOP's, and comply and enforce sanitation regulations and safety standards.
- Actively contributes to menu development with Executive Culinary team, which includes oversight over inventory and recommending purchasing needs specific to the functional area/kitchen needs.
- Serves on the food safety response team and response to all food safety emergencies as appropriate to the work assignment.
- Assist in the culinary staff selection, training and onboarding process, while empowering staff to make effective decisions and develop their communication skills.
- Ensure employees follow assigned schedule, appropriate break times and follow proper procedures of requesting time off.
- Responsible for performance plans for direct reports and hold employees accountable, following progressive discipline processes.
- Prep, assemble, and delegate food preparation tasks, and makes decisions based on product outages and menu changes.
- Understand and utilize all production equipment in assigned facility.
- Assist with ordering and receiving of product as need.
- Successfully pass ServSafe and offer tutoring assistance to staff.
What You Should Know
This full-time position is eligible for the following benefits:
- EcoPass for free RTD rides.
- Paid days off: 22 vacation days, 15 sick leave days, and 10 holidays.
- Access to Medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- A 10% employer contribution retirement plan.
- Opportunity for career growth.
What We Can Offer
The annual salary for this position is $42,962.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Challenged. Be Unique. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Four years of food service experience. Education may substitute for experience on a year for year basis.
- Ability to obtain Servsafe certification or certificate appropriate to position level within 6 months of hire.
What You Will Need
- Ability to work in a team driven environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- A flexible schedule to work a variety of hours, as will be determined at the point of an offer.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Two years experience in fast paced high volume university or institutional food service operation.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- Optional: A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by July 29, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com