Extension Agent I - III Family and Consumer Sciences (77651)
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences is committed to creating an environment that affirms diversity across a variety of dimensions, including ability, class, ethnicity/race, gender identity and expression. We particularly welcome applicants who can contribute to such an environment through their scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and professional service. We strongly encourage historically underrepresented groups to apply.
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD) or visit Accessibility at UF .
The Univ. of Florida (UF) is a Land Grant institution with core values of unique purpose, excellence, integrity, collaboration and partnership, lifelong learning, diversity, responsiveness, innovation, communication, and global reach. IFAS employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff statewide. IFAS Extension employs 375 Extension Agents and has an office in each of Florida’s 67 counties.
Our mission in the Florida Cooperative Extension Service is to partner with communities to provide quality, relevant education and research-based expertise to foster healthy people, a healthy environment, and a healthy economy. We are the resource that helps educate Floridians to address issues related to agriculture, horticulture, natural resources, youth development, families, and communities.
We are looking for candidates with both academic and people skills who work well in teams, honor their commitments, and innovate in a rapidly changing world. As an FCS Extension Agent you will work jointly for UF/IFAS Extension and Palm Beach County. As an extension educator, you will lead by designing, implementing, and evaluating educational programs that target quality food systems, human health, and nutrition-related wellness outreach. “Food systems” in the context of this position includes access to local, safe, and healthy foods, resource management, sustainable living, and social, mental and physical well-being.
Your educational programs will assist clientele in implementing research-based best practices to improve food systems and manage or prevent chronic disease and food-borne illness. Your overall program direction will be guided by an advisory committee that incorporates the needs of the county’s diverse population. You will demonstrate excellent customer service and you will respond to client needs in a timely and professional manner. You will devote about 5% of your time contributing to 4-H Youth Development program. Your office will be located at the Palm Beach County Extension Office in West Palm Beach.
What you will do:
- Develop, conduct, coordinate, evaluate, and report on food systems, health and nutrition wellness programs for county residents of all ages.
- Teach ServSafe® and SafeStaff® to professional food workers, food handlers, professional food service managers, and other relevant agencies.
- Recognize, develop, and implement systems to address the barriers, differences, and challenges that inhibit agriculture, food, nutrition, and healthcare systems from effectively improving health outcomes.
- Work on mapping the current and future food supply in relation to human nutrition and health within the program area.
- Promote collaboration between local governments, schools, and community-based organizations to work on issues at the intersection of agriculture, food, nutrition and health.
- Work as part of a team with local producers, organization, agencies and UF/IFAS colleagues to improve food systems and to promote healthy living and nutrition wellness.
- Collaborate with the UF/IFAS Family Nutrition Program to establish preferred Policies, Systems, and Environmental (PSEs) improvements within local communities of need.
- Foster an inclusive environment and build effective relationships with stakeholders, county government, community leaders, private sector clientele, media, government agencies, county residents, and UF/IFAS faculty and staff.
- Market the extension program through multi-media platforms.
- Target programs to reflect the county’s population diversity and unique educational needs using a variety of program delivery methods.
- Establish and maintain an effective advisory committee to assist with program development and implementation.
- Develop community partnerships.
- Work as part of a team with local volunteers, organizations, agencies, and UF/IFAS colleagues to promote positive youth development.
- Establish and maintain an effective system for accountability.
- Produce creative works and publications.
- Participate in professional associations.
- Write an annual plan of work and report of accomplishment.
- Assume other responsibilities that benefit the total county extension program as assigned by the County Extension Director and District Extension Director.
What you will bring (required):
- A bachelor’s degree in family and consumer sciences, nutrition science, food or health science, nutrition dietetics, or a related field from an accredited college or university. We will accept applicants without a bachelor’s degree if the degree will be earned by August, 2021. If hired with a bachelor’s degree, we expect you to continue to grow in your career. As such, we expect you to make at least 50% progress towards obtaining your master’s degree within the first 6 years of employment.
- Strong written and verbal interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to establish solid partnerships and to find innovative ways to attract new audiences and volunteers.
- A commitment to customer service.
- Ability to possess (or be able to obtain) a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Flexibility with working hours; willingness to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends and overnight travel.
What you will bring (preferred):
- A master’s degree.
- Experience creating lesson plans, developing instructional materials, and applying teaching methods appropriate for the audience.
- Expertise in getting groups to work together for a higher goal, managing competing priorities, and adaptability to handle unexpected situations.
- Leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Experience working in multicultural settings and coursework/training on multicultural topics.
- Bilingual ability in English/Spanish.
- A strong commitment to community.
- Evidence of exceptional collaborations, partnerships, and marketing with community agencies and groups.
- Technological literacy necessary for communication and program management, including social media.
- Registered Dietician or Florida Licensed Dietitian certification.
Apply at http://apply.interfolio.com/90650 by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern) of the posting end date, and attach:
- Cover letter that describes how your experience and qualifications have prepared you for this position
- Résumé or Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of all transcripts and/or coursework of your academic degrees
The following documents are also required and may either be submitted through the above link at the time of application, or sent separately to our office (below).
- Current and Previous Employment Form (located at https://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/form-index/current-and-previous-employment-form/ ).
- A minimum of 3 reference rating forms (located at http://hr.ifas.ufl.edu/assets/pdf/forms/ref_form.pdf ) from your professional/academic references. Reference forms will be kept on file for 1 year and will be automatically used with any of our extension agent positions you apply for during that time.
Reference rating forms and unofficial transcripts not submitted at the time of application should be submitted/postmarked by the next business day after the position’s closing date. They may be submitted to:
Ms. Dana LeCuyer
UF IFAS Human Resources
Faculty Recruitment and Hiring
P O Box 110281
Gainesville, FL 32611-0281
Fax: (352) 392-3226
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/ .
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in West Palm Beach
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in West Palm Beach
- Nutrition Not specified Full Time jobs in West Palm Beach
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in West Palm Beach
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in West Palm Beach