82762 - H - Lab/Research Technician 2
Mechanical And Nuclear Engineering
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Anticipated Hiring Range
Monroe Park Campus
up to 29 hrs
Normal work days
Monday - Friday; varies
Normal work hours
8am-5pm; varies by need
Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the
VCU Health System?
Does this position require a pre-placement medical
Is any portion of this position grant-funded?
Yes - Continuation of this position depends on funding of the
Description of the Job
Since its inception in 1996, the Virginia Commonwealth University
College of Engineering has brought innovative, real-world
engineering education to Central Virginia. Comprised of five
different departments plus the Dean’s office, the College of
Engineering enrolls more than 1,700 undergraduate and 250 graduate
students in several degree programs supported by approximately 550
full-time, part-time, and student employees. As part of a premier
research university known for
tenacity, love of the city, and commitment to diversity and access,
the College of Engineering values the significant and the positive
impact of our people and ideas in the promotion of regional and
global prosperity involving research and life sciences.
The department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering invites
applicants to apply for the position of Research Intern. The
Research Interns will be responsible for the day-to-day activities
required in molten salt study. Specifically, duties will include:
- Perform general clerical tasks necessary for daily operation of
- Assist the Principal Investigator (PI) in conducting new
projects in phase diagram, molten salt fluid and heat
molten salt data dissemination, and/or artificial neural
- Consistently design and conduct experiments independently
leading to the generation of high-quality data for
- Assist the PI with the editing and preparation of
- Compile results of experiments and weekly report to
- Carry out other research-related duties as needed.
- Background in computational and/or experimental methods.
- Exceptional ability to coordinate and conduct multiple work
either experimental or computational studies simultaneously.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage time effectively.
- Familiarity with the research process and principles of
research design are required.
- Previous experience working in a laboratory and computational
- The candidate must also be able to work with researchers with
varied cultural and educational backgrounds.
- The College of Engineering supports a diverse faculty, staff,
and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience
that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment
- Willingness to learn and use specialized techniques
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Chemical, and/or Nuclear
Engineering or related field. Candidates working towards their
degree are also given preference.
Job Open Date
Remove from posting on or before
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * Do you have experience working in a research laboratory
- * Tell me more about your ability to function independently and
as a member of a team in a constantly changing environment and the
ability to take initiative, problem solve, and meet
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document