Custodian 3 - Swing/Grave Shift
Columbia Basin College ('CBC' or the 'College') seeks a Custodian 3 to supervise Swing/Grave shift custodial staff on a team cleaning concept and performs a variety of custodial tasks to maintain cleanliness and care of CBC campus buildings and grounds. This position is responsible for organizing, delegating and executing the performance of custodial work for the College and is considered a working supervisor, performing custodial tasks alongside line level staff. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Custodial Services.
This position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to applicants whose complete application has been received by July 26, 2021 @ 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
- Supervise Swing/Grave shift custodial staff in their performance of custodial duties which includes general cleaning and housekeeping duties of buildings/facilities including refilling restroom dispensers, and servicing of restrooms/showers, common areas, classrooms and offices;
- Assist with set-up and tear-down of equipment needed for CBC events, meetings, classrooms, trainings including whiteboards/erasers, furnishings, folding chairs, and tables; assist with office moves and other revisions to work areas (e.g., moving workstations, furniture, supplies. etc.);
- Supervision of assigned staff includes interviewing and making recommendations for hire, scheduling and assignment of shifts; assist with conducting performance evaluations and counseling on performance, taking or recommending corrective actions as needed, making recommendations for civil service status, etc.;
- Instruct custodial staff on proper cleaning techniques and safety practices for various custodial duties; assign and inspect work assignments for completion; ensure departmental/facility cleanliness and safety standards are met and take necessary corrective action for deficiencies;
- Perform detailed floor care projects and other cleaning projects as scheduled; strip, clean, buff, and apply finish to floors, use high speed floor buffers/polishers, vacuum and clean carpets; sweep and wash sidewalks and/or stairs as needed;
- Respond to call-ins, office moves under work orders for emergencies, particularly on Monday mornings; assist with and assign snow removal of common and other campus areas;
- Maintain inventory (e.g., storage of furniture, supplies, etc.) and make simple reports; create requisitions for supplies and equipment; oversee the coordination of supply orders under processes for Purchasing to get product and/or equipment in a timely manner, take corrective action to resolve maintenance problems;
- Clean whiteboards and erasers; dust and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; replace interior light bulbs, collect and dispose of garbage and trash and recycle containers;
- Follow written and/or verbal SDS instructions regarding the use of chemicals, supplies and equipment; comply with safety policies and procedures;
- Check or inspect buildings for security purposes (unlocked doors or windows) and report unauthorized occupants; and/or assist in determining condition of facility and equipment and take necessary corrective action for deficiencies;
- Report need for repair and/or maintenance; order, receive and distribute custodial supplies and equipment to employees;
- Improve work methods, knowledge of equipment, supplies and safety through participation in training sessions with supervisors;
- Conduct monthly department meetings with custodial staff and bring forward the review of each recommendation in the minutes and what was learned, any findings, conclusions and suggestions;
- Attend and/or present at departmental meetings, safety meetings and actively participate in training sessions for assigned staff, as well as the custodial department;
- Perform cleaning and related activities in areas within a reasonable distance from buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment, including snow removal;
- Operate and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools including vacuum, buffers/polishers, broom, mop, squeegee, high pressure washer, ladder for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, and furniture;
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned in supervisor's absence;
- Perform the custodial duties of a Custodian 1 and 2 as assigned; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Two (2) years of experience performing janitorial, general or building maintenance, and/or custodial work;
- Experience with custodial supplies, chemicals, and floor care products and methods;
- Experience with equipment such as vacuums, buffers/polishers, high-pressure washers, etc.; and
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver's license or ability to obtain one before date of hire.
Skills & Abilities
Teambuilding : Demonstrate a willingness to work with, and help others in completing job assignments, ability to accept constructive criticism; cooperate with fellow employees and supervisors;
Quality : Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and promote quality; apply feedback to improve performance; monitor own work to ensure quality;
Safety and Security: Observe safety and security procedures when using hand and power tools applicable to trade, operate vacuums, strippers, buffers, lawn mowers, and other custodial and grounds maintenance equipment; determine appropriate action beyond guidelines; report potentially unsafe conditions; use equipment and materials properly;
Oral Communication: Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions; participate in meetings.;
Motivational Skills: Set and achieve challenging goals; demonstrate persistence and overcome obstacles; measure self against standard of excellence;
Problem Solving Skills: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; develop alternative solutions; work well in group problem solving situations; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics;
Attendance/Punctuality : Consistently at work and on time; ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent, arrive at meetings and appointments on time;
Cultural Competence : Accept cultural differences between people; effectively communicate information to culturally diverse staff, s students and the community; ability to suspend own biases and prejudices in order to be nonjudgmental; awareness of own background/experiences and how they influence learning process and attitudes;
Customer Service Skills : Manage difficult or emotional customer situations; respond promptly to customer needs; solicit customer feedback to improve service; respond to requests for service and assistance; meet commitments;
Interpersonal Skills : Focus on solving conflict, not blaming; maintain confidentiality; listen to others without interrupting; keep emotions under control; remain open to others' ideas and try new things.; and
Quantity : Meet productivity standards; complete work in timely manner; strive to increase productivity; work quickly.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is a twelve-month (12), full-time, classified staff position. The typical work hours are Monday through Thursday, 5:30 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.; however, must be available to work a flexible schedule due to work demands and some evening/weekend work when prior notice is given by the College. This position is available immediately.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In the interest of providing a healthy, safe and secure educational and work environment and in order to meet the requirements of federal legislation, it is the policy of Columbia Basin College to maintain an alcohol and drug-free workplace for our employees and students.
If you are hired, you will need to provide proof of identity and documentation of U.S. citizenship or appropriate authorization to work in this position as required by the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986.
Columbia Basin College operates under an approved affirmative action plan and encourages applications from persons of color, women, veterans and persons of disability. The Human Resources Office is accessible to those with disabilities. If you need accommodation in application or employment, contact the Human Resources Office at (509) 542-4740.
OTHER JOB ELEMENTS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that must be met and may be encountered by an incumbent when performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, communicate, reach, and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility, including frequent traveling between buildings on campus and driving employer vehicles off and around campus. Duties involve physical strength, agility and endurance to bend/reach, lift, pull or push objects weighing up to 50 pounds on a regular basis, 80 pounds with help from others or by mechanical means, and climb a ladder and work from heights no more than 80 feet off the ground. Manual dexterity and coordination are required while operating equipment such as standard office equipment and custodial equipment.
Work environment is performed in multiple locations such as a typical office environment, field and indoor/outdoor settings that includes some exposure to hazards or physical risks that require following safety and driving requirements. There may be exposure to chemical hazards requiring the use of rubber safety gloves and safety glasses as provided. Interruptions occur on a regular basis. There can be exposure to adverse weather conditions and unusual elements such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust and/or uneven surfaces, while performing the duties of this position.