founded in 1831, is a diverse,
energetic liberal arts community where critical thinking and
practical idealism go hand in hand.
Posted on: July 18, 2021
Reporting to the Chair of the Government Department and the Dean of
the Social Sciences, the administrative assistant provides
administrative support to the department and the Public Affairs
Center. During the PAC renovation (to approximately January 2024),
some PAC duties will be modified to account for the use of swing
spaces by component Departments. The official duties outlined below
will resume in entirety once the return to the new PAC
- Assist with the preparation of reports and proposals; write
correspondence and memorandums; create flyers, brochures, and
- Provide support for faculty searches, tenure and promotion
cases, colloquia and special projects as needed.
- Maintain confidential files for faculty, department, and
- Maintain databases and generate reports and mailing lists;
maintain calendars and organize meetings; manage office
correspondence and procedures; and, greet and work with students,
faculty, visitors and other constituencies.
- Manage and monitor department budget; process payroll, A/P
vouchers, travel reimbursements, and other financial
- Coordinate logistics for speakers, colloquia, receptions, and
other department events, to include scheduling, publicity, room
reservations, travel and catering arrangements.
- Assist in compiling course offerings using CourseLeaf; liaison
with departmental staff to manage cross-listings; edit material for
course catalog and university publications.
- Maintain confidential student records.
- Provide students with information regarding the major, assign
- Coordinate department Honors program; administer department
prizes; coordinate Phi Beta Kappa nominations; assist with student
- Update and maintain the department website.
- Hire, train, supervise, record and process payroll for student
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Assist the Dean with logistical details for PAC Luncheon Series
(room and AV reservations, circulate flyers and email notices,
order lunches, and coordinate set-up/clean-up).
- Manage and monitor center budgets; process A/P vouchers and
other financial transactions.
- Identify and report building and maintenance issues; oversee
common spaces in the PAC .
- Order supplies for PAC photocopiers (paper, toner &
staples) and place service calls when needed.
- Order PAC kitchen supplies and oversee area; order general
- Coordinate the preparations PAC -wide events.
- Oversee scheduling of the PAC conference rooms and
- Update center website.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
This is a Grade IV position that is in the Secretary/Clerical
bargaining unit. The position works 1565 hours per year, 32 hours a
week for 47 weeks, and 10 hours per week for 6 weeks.
Associate Degree and four years related experience or an
equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Ability to set priorities, to take initiative, to manage multiple
duties with minimal supervision, and to pay close attention to
Demonstrated expertise in Word, Excel, and email
Experience managing budgets.
Previous experience with web page and database management
Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, staff, and
Demonstrated commitment to working within a diverse environment and
collaborating with individuals of different backgrounds.
Experience in an academic environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Application close date is July 18, 2021
Any and all offers to external applicants for an
administrative assistant or union position are contingent on the
candidate’s completion of a pre-employment background check
screening and computer skills assessment to the satisfaction of
Wesleyan University, located in Middletown, Connecticut, does
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age,
gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital
status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder,
learning disability or physical disability, political belief,
veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or
non-position-related criminal record. We welcome applications from
women and historically underrepresented minority groups. Inquiries
regarding Title IX, Section 504, or any other non-discrimination
policies should be directed to: Alison Williams, Vice President for
Equity & Inclusion/ Title IX Officer, 860-685-3927, email@example.com.