International Student Advisor
International Student Advisor
The international student advisor serves as a university-designated school official and is expected to be able to adequately perform responsibilities associated with this role, including cross cultural competencies, crisis intervention, regulatory advisement, and monitoring and maintaining international student and scholar records as per SEVP's governing regulations for schools and students and the Exchange Visitor Program regulations (22 CFR Part 62).
REPORTS TO: Director of International Services
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Serve as Designated School Official (DSO) and perform responsibilities associated with this role.
- Serve as the Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) and perform responsibilities associated with this role.
- Review and process student Form I-20 and DS-2019 Forms.
- Monitor and maintain student records as per the Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) compliance responsibilities.
- Review and process student requests in combination with the office student information system and electronic student file.
- Serve as regulatory advisor for international students and scholars, maintaining expert knowledge of SEVP's Governing Regulations for Schools and Students and the Exchange Visitor Program regulations.
- Maintain excellent communication and report with relevant campus partners in an effort to serve as an advocate for and resource to international students.
- Organize and facilitate regulatory workshop sessions as necessary.
- Perform other duties as needed to support the strategic plan of the office for welcoming and supporting international students, scholars, and visitors.
- Assist with the coordination and facilitation of orientation and onboarding services, cross cultural activities, student adjustment programming, events and services essential for student success.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Extensive knowledge of SEVP's Governing Regulations for Schools and Students and the Exchange Visitor Program regulations.
- Ability to analyze complex immigration issues involving a variety of individuals, situations, rules and external agencies and bring them to a satisfactory resolution.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in fast-paced, highly professional and detail-oriented working environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively, accurately and productively in a highly active setting.
- Demonstrated exemplary and culturally sensitive verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to be effective in the event of a crisis management situation.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals from diverse cultures.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in the field of international student advising.
- U.S. citizen or legal permanent residence required for Department of Homeland Security ARO, DSO qualification purposes.
- Excellent computer proficiency, including knowledge of SEVIS is essential.
- Working knowledge of Terra Dotta software preferred.
- Graduate assistants.
- Student workers.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2571