Posting Number: R0003685
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
The Debate coach is responsible for all aspects of directing, leading, and managing Willamette's Debate Union, including training and coaching debaters, program administration, travel to local and national tournaments, and participation in campus and community outreach. Weekly duties during the academic year include 15-20 hours per week teaching the “Intercollegiate Debate” course, coordinating debate team practices, mentoring and supporting the team captains, and contributing to the academic life and culture of the University. Position includes traveling with the team to approximately 6-8 tournaments during the academic year.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Teach the 1-credit IDS 062X: Intercollegiate Debate course each
- Facilitate 2-3 debate team practice meetings each week to
include speaking/presentation drills, preparation skills, debating
strategy, content workshops, practice rounds, etc.
- Drive the debate team members to scheduled local tournaments,
coordinate the team's transportation to more distant tournaments
and supervise their safety while attending events and traveling off
- Coordinate the annual Jerry Hudson high school debate
tournament held on Willamette's campus (may not occur in
- Provide individual coaching and mentoring of debate team
members to improve on their skills (videotaping and reviewing
debate, developing individualized strategies for improvement,
- Serve as a debate team judge or event organizer as requested at
tournaments or other events
- Research and draft case file materials
- Support and organize Public Advocacy programming both on and
- Meet with faculty members interested in using debate as a
- Conduct outreach to local schools to promote the debate team
- BA or BS, Masters preferred
- Experience coaching or leading collegiate debate
- Experience with Worlds-Style debate
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Enthusiasm for working with both experienced and novice
- Excellent team-building and mentoring skills
Typical Work Schedule
Monday - Friday, variable hours. Some travel required.
This is a 9-month, part-time position following the academic calendar.
Work is primarily performed indoors in a typical classroom or office environment.
Salary Range: $25,000 - $28,000 depending on experience
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received. Position will remain open until it is filled.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the position.
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Debate-Coach_R0003685
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.