Assistant Director of Data Management
Assistant Director of Data Management & Integrity
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at
email@example.com or by calling 864-294-2217.
Assistant Director of Data Management & Integrity
The Assistant Director of Data Management & Integrity plays a pivotal role in strategically overseeing and ensuring the accuracy and integrity of constituent data within the Development Office Constituent Database of Record. This position reports to the Director of Development Systems.
The Assistant Director is responsible for improving and maintaining the overall integrity of the database, including implementing guidelines and standards to guide data entry, creating processes and procedures for engagement with the system, implementing best practices, training database users, managing user-rights, and leading data collection efforts as well as managing the systems which support this work. He/she will ensure the database and integrations effectively capture constituent data and generate accurate information.
1. Oversee the quality, integrity, and accuracy of all constituent information entered into the Development CRM, along with the database infrastructure.
2. Serve as the subject matter expert on the Development CRM for the Office of Development to support strategic initiatives and define requirements. Build software infrastructure through the development of tables, screens and processes to facilitate functionality and flexibility of the database.
3. Establish user protocols and standards on how to enter information into the CRM to guarantee consistency and accuracy across users. Create workflows for import and input of newly-acquired data. Establish and maintain procedures related to all aspects of the current and future CRM database and integrated applications. Ensure that all procedures are disseminated to Development staff and followed effectively.
4. Plan and direct CRM user training for Development and campus users. Develop comprehensive training materials and conduct system training sessions. Arrange all necessary training for new users or new data systems and processes. Inform and educate staff on CRM updates and changes.
5. With the Director of Development Systems and the AVP of Strategic Development Operations, create and implement metrics and benchmarks to manage and evaluate work volume, quality and effectiveness. Develop and manage workflows, measure their efficiency, and re-calibrate when necessary.
6. ETL: Plan and implement global data changes and imports, as well as batch uploads, exports, and updates of data. Coordinate with the Director of Development Systems and various cross-campus partners to import large quantities of complex data into the CRM and/or other solutions as deemed necessary. Manage database sharing between systems and with other Development areas and cross campus partners.
7. Ad-hoc Reporting: Manage and execute requests for ad hoc database reports, database updates, and integration requests.
8. With the Director of Development Systems, oversee an maintain integrations with current CRM systems and applications. Integrate and monitor 3rd party applications for changes/ upgrades which may impact the CRM and take the appropriate action.
9. Work closely with Director of Development Systems, AVP of Strategic Development Operations and ITS on the evaluation and adoption of new technology tools to support the Office of Development. Working with ITS and other stakeholders, integrate infrastructure for custom reporting and business intelligence tools. Work with ITS and software vendors on maintenance and upgrades.
1. Plan, implement, and supervise the collection, entry, updating, output, and usage of all demographic, financial, background, and relationship information on all constituents, including alumni, parents, friends, corporations, foundations, organizations and volunteers.
2. With the Director of Development Systems, establish a comprehensive data integrity plan by identifying areas within the fundraising infrastructure where data cleaning and normalization are needed, and create a strategic plan for data integrity execution. Partner with the Assistant Director of Prospect Management to ensure that prospect management data integrity efforts align and are supported as part of the overall data integrity plan. Partner with the Assistant Director of Gift Management to ensure that financial data integrity efforts align and are supported as part of the overall data integrity plan.
3. Lead database clean-up efforts and work with Development staff to maintain accurate constituent records. Establish and execute an annual data clean-up schedule. Design and produce regular and ad-hoc auditing reports as needed to support data integrity review and management. Perform regular data verification reports and audits.
4. Provide Development staff recommendations and counsel for sound maintenance of constituent data in the current/future CRM. Collaborate with staff to clean up inconsistencies and errors, as well as data maintenance solutions. Manage and implement a data request policy and data request forms for Development staff.
5. Coordinate with ITS for needed support, and to ensure proper maintenance, software updates, and back-ups are occurring. Provide CRM technical support to users as appropriate, and elevate issues to ITS as needed.
Data Maintenance and Security:
1. With the Director of Development Systems, establish and maintain data policies and compliance standards. Oversee data protection strategy and implementation to ensure compliance with Furman University, state, national and international requirements.
2. Develop, implement and enforce policies and training that ensure the privacy and security of electronic and physical records maintained by the Office of Development. This includes data transfer systems.
3. Track and administer accounts, system roles, security settings and permissions.
4. Ensure regular education and adherence to data privacy, compliance laws and best practices by Development staff.
1. Provide daily management of the Data Coordinator position including establishing annual goals (to support overall Development goals), conducting regular performance reviews and appropriate recognition, and supporting ongoing professional development opportunities. Coordinate administrative support efforts with the AVP of Strategic Development Operations.
2. Demonstrate expert knowledge and use of fundraising CRM systems, and assist with pulling complex lists, reports and queries, technical support and data entry as needed. Oversee lists and constituent record update requests, and support tracking and execution of requests.
3. Collaborate with Development leadership and staff to ensure effective use and maximization of current and future CRM software and integrated applications.
4. Participate in office and division staff meetings. Attend meetings on behalf of the Director of Development Systems as needed.
5. Serve as a back-up resource for data management and integrity in times of absence and when needed. Cross train in other Development Systems tasks to assist during busy times of the year, including registering gifts, processing gifts, posting gifts to the general ledger and running gift receipts.
6. Adhere to the ethical and confidentiality guidelines of the Development Office, CASE and APRA. Maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to University business and confidential constituent data.
7. Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum of five years' experience in Higher Education fundraising software/CRM administration and data management (e.g., Raiser's Edge, Ellucian Advance, Millennium, Salesforce).
Minimum of three years' demonstrated experience in data management processes, procedures, and practices (ETL, relational database understanding, report writing, SQL/scripting). Demonstrated experience and comfort with data oversite, database administration, and coding/scripting languages. Expertise in database querying, mass-data manipulation, importing/exporting. and reporting functions is required.
Demonstrated experience in organizing, maintaining, managing, troubleshooting, and interacting with computer software systems. Demonstrated experience performing in a liaison role across multiple business departments and with outside vendors and partners.
- Proactive, self-starter that is meticulous and highly
- Is driven and self-motivated, able to initiate and complete
projects and tasks independently.
- Has excellent time management skills, and successful at
juggling competing requests and priorities.
- Strategic and solutions-oriented thinker with the ability to
efficiently solve problems with strong critical thinking skills and
- Effective communication (verbal and written) and can translate
technical information to non-technical audiences and communicate
with NXT users to understand their needs.
- Team player with commitment to collaborating with peers,
working collegially across departments, and supporting departmental
and organizational well-being and values.
- Ability to train and answer questions from non-technical users,
and troubleshoot NXT issues in person, by phone or
- Demonstrates flexibility and ability to pivot off projects to
remedy immediate production issues.
- Is able to work effectively on a data team and align on optimal
- Demonstrates project management experience, including the
ability to analyze complex situations and identify missing
components, determine and implement the best course of action, and
organize and prioritize tasks.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Assistant-Director-of-Data-Management---Integrity_R001182
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.