Part-Time Advisor (TEMPORARY)
Part-Time Advisor (TEMPORARY)
Posting Number: 0001080
Position Status: Part-Time
Salary: $22.13 per hour
Department: Executive Director, School & College Partnerships
Job Summary/Basic Function:
This position will advise students and community members on issues pertaining to the admission process, financial aid eligibility, career exploration, transferability of courses, and related academic concerns. The Part-Time Advisor will also make referrals to inside/outside agencies as necessary.
When scheduled, Academic advisors could also function onsite at service area high schools as a Lee College representative within the respective Consolidated Independent School District assigned. The advisor will be responsible for assisting in the high school student's success and graduation efforts while fostering student awareness and aspirations toward Lee College and preparing students for admission to Lee College.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the admission process
- Determine Texas Success Initiative obligations bases on TAKS, THEA, Accuplacer, or other approved tests.
- Implement state and institutional policies and procedures.
- Interpret test scores.
- Provide degree path/plans and explain degree and certificate programs.
- Evaluation of unofficial transcripts for transferability of coursework.
- Assist with registration to include teaching students online processes, course selection, data entry, etc.
- Assist with the resolution of academic issues as an advocate for students.
- Assist with financial aid application and process.
- Conduct orientations and workshops throughout the academic year.
- Provide group advising and/or group registration stations.
- Work the front desk as needed to assist the front desk personnel and students walking into the Counseling Center.
- Travel to service area high schools and community events as required.
Additional duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in all registration times that are considered peak times as they may requiring extra duties, time, and days.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
College benefits do not accrue with this part-time position. Scheduled hours are not to exceed 19.5 hours a week. This is a security-sensitive position.
Lee College does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status.
- Bachelor’s (or higher) degree in Psychology, Sociology, Education or a closely related field
- Two (2) years of experience working with students in secondary or post-secondary education
- Experience working with students, parents, and faculty
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators, and other staff members
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Able to travel within the assigned work area, which will include East Harris, Liberty, and Chambers Counties
- Must be available to work mandatory evenings and weekends
- Previous experience working at a community college
- Previous experience working with high school students and their parents
- Bilingual: Able to read, write, and speak both English and Spanish
If other, provide location: GCCISD High Schools and Lee College
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position requires applicants to attach the following documents: resume, cover letter, and copies of transcripts for all completed college work. (Official transcripts required upon employment.)
In addition, applicants must include a minimum of three (3) professional references on the online application.
Please do not mail, email, fax, or deliver any documents outside of the electronic application process.
To apply, visit https://jobs.lee.edu/postings/6962
Lee College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, which encourages applications from qualified females, minority groups, veterans, and disabled individuals. It is the policy of Lee College to fully comply with the equal opportunity provisions of all applicable regulations and not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of gender, disability, race, color, age, religion, national origin, or veteran status in areas such as recruitment, selections, training, promotion, demotion, layoffs, terminations, rates of pay, or any other forms of compensation or benefits.