Administrative Assistant - PT
Administrative Assistant - Part Time
African, Black & Caribbean Studies
Our union positions have excellent benefits including Tuition Remission for the employee, spouse and dependent children. The salary is $27,443. Pre-employment assessment on Microsoft Word and or Excel will be conducted.
Provide administrative support to the Director, Program Coordinator, and Faculty.
REPORTS TO: Director, African, Black and Caribbean Studies
This Position Provides Support To: Director, African, Black and Caribbean Studies, Tenured and Non-Tenured Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Program Coordinator
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Documentation and Information Management:
- Prepare and print materials such as letters, memoranda, forms, purchase orders and vouchers, using computers and relevant peripheral equipment.
- Compose and respond to routine correspondence.
- Use office software packages such as Word and Excel in document preparation, file maintenance and report generation.
- Collect information or data from various sources; file and retrieve books, documents and/or data as needed. Update existing files.
- Create and/or maintain filing systems.
- Maintain departmental records; keep separate confidential records when instructed.
- Prepare and process various forms, e.g., admissions forms and other forms.
- Prepare charts, graphs, or tables for presentations, reports, and/or interoffice communications.
- Maintain financial and/or student records and databases, and update them as necessary.
Communications and Customer Service:
- Provide information, as directed, to faculty, students, employees, and the general public.
- Interact with students, staff and administrators throughout the University to resolve problems.
- Respond to routine inquiries regarding departmental matters.
- Answer telephone calls; screen incoming calls and forwards/refers calls; assist in maintaining up-to-date mailing and telephone directories.
- Refer students, faculty, employees and general public to proper areas or persons.
- Furnish information on the department's rules and regulations, when authorized.
- Assist in training new employees in various office duties/use of office equipment.
- Communicate with other academic or administrative departments or outside agencies to expedite the processing of paperwork and departmental tasks or answer inquiries.
- Prepare routine reports, including drafts, using information received from various sources.
- Process purchase orders and supply orders; verify deliveries.
- Verify inventory and supplies reports on request. Order supplies as needed.
- Prepare work orders.
- Receive and distribute mail for the unit/department/college.
- Prepare the department/unit/college mailings within the department or coordinating with outside vendors, arranging special mail services when authorized.
- Duplicate, collate and distribute materials. Confer with mailroom personnel as needed.
- Assist in preparing and distributing materials such as recruitment documents.
- Assist in registration activities within the department or as assigned; when authorized, process drop/add and over tally requests for course registration.
- Work with the department chair on scheduling and entering classes into the Course Sections Development system.
- Coordinate and provide administrative support for Faculty searches.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, skills and abilities)
- Ability to prioritize workload according to volume, urgency, etc.
- Good organization skills and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and accurately.
- Ability to be discrete and maintain high confidentiality on a wide range of issues.
- Good verbal and writing skills.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Good computer skills for using Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, Administrative Systems and E-mail.
- Ability to work with students and colleagues in a diverse environment.
- Ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time.
- Ability to work on a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to open drawers and file paperwork.
- High School diploma is required.
- Bachelor's degree is preferred.
- Student Employees.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving almost 8,000 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers more than 60 undergraduate programs, more than 65 master's degree and doctoral programs, and more than 35 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 116,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 64 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2531