Salary: $19.43 Hourly
Job Number: 5988-c-07/21
Closing: 7/30/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Visalia, CA
Department: Library/Learning Resource Center
Under the direction of the Director, Learning Resources, the Library Assistant performs a variety of clerical and customer service duties in the Library/Learning Resource Center (LRC).
This is a part-time (20 hours/week); 10 month position.
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for student success.
Job duties of the Library Assistant include:
- Provide information and assistance to students, staff and the community in use of library services and materials.
- Assist in locating and gathering materials for students and faculty.
- Assist students with printing and using library computers and software (i.e. Office 365, Google products, Banner).
- Provide guidance and assistance to student employees.
- Assist in processing and removal of library materials.
- Materials and collection maintenance.
- Check books and materials in and out.
- Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Minimum Qualifications (Education & Experience):
The Library Assistant will have any combination equivalent to: sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the Representative Duties.
- Office environment.
- Constant interruptions.
- Weekend work may be required.
- Ability to operate a computer and office equipment.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to to communicate with library patrons.
- Ability to read library materials.
- Ability to reach horizontally and above the shoulder to shelve and retrieve books.
- Ability to carry and lift books weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to pull and push book carts.
Knowledge and Abilities
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following: Knowledge of:
- Standard library methods and organization.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Telephone techniques and etiquette.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Basic clerical skills.
- Provide assistance to students, staff and public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Learn library practices and procedures and equipment.
- Learn the location of materials in the library.
- Perform routine clerical work.
- Type at an acceptable rate of speed.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit:
- An online job application.
- Letter of interest which addresses how the applicant's experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform the job duties.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cos/jobs/3154207/library-assistant
COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The College of the Sequoias Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.