Ottawa University invites applications from, and
nominations of, dynamic and inspiring leaders for the position of
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer.
Ottawa University (located
in Ottawa, KS and Surprise, AZ) is an institution with a proud 157
year heritage of educating adults and students of traditional ages
for lifetimes of faith, service, leadership and significance. From
its founding in 1865 in Ottawa, Kansas, the university has grown to
an institution today that serves nearly 5,000 students through its
residential campuses, adult and graduate studies campuses, and
online. Ottawa University offers exceptional breadth and depth in
its curriculum at the undergraduate and graduate levels which is
constantly being updated and enhanced to make the greatest possible
impact on the lives of its students.
Ottawa University invites applications from, and nominations of,
dynamic and inspiring leaders for the position of Vice President
& Chief Financial Officer. This leader is the senior business
and finance officer of the University responsible for accounting,
budget management, fiscal operations, financial aid administration
and information technology. This position is expected to
facilitate business process improvement, oversee contract
negotiations, develop strategic financial plans and advise the
President & CEO regarding organization and investment
opportunities. The CFO is a member of the President’s Cabinet
(reports to the President & CEO) and works collaboratively with
the other senior officers. She or he will also work closely with,
and act as a staff liaison to, the Board Budget and Finance, and
Audit committees. The CFO manages finance, accounting, receivables,
payables, payroll, tax, treasury, banking, financial aid, and IT
departments on behalf of the entire university system. S/he
interfaces heavily with compliance and HR as well as each of the
operating and enrollment units.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Master’s Degree required. CPA/MBA preferred.
- Five years or more of top line financial executive experience,
preferably in the higher education arena.
- Experience with executive level financial responsibilities in
multiple operational areas.
- Experience in strategic planning, new business markets, and
- Proven planning, forecasting, cash management, and budgeting
- Experience and track record of success in dealing with
auditors, regulators, and legal firms.
- Proven experience in negotiating and securing financial
facilities with banks, bond offerings, and others.
- Interface with and understanding of human resources function
- Awareness of and sensitivity to IT systems, reporting, and
compliance requirements in multiple states.
- Experience in the management of significant business process
improvement activities as well as compliance and controls.
- Understanding of accounting standards and control/compliance
- Ability to guide and work closely with CEO and Board of
- Ability to work with top line executives in a complex,
- Collaborative and sensitive, yet firm, leadership and
management skills. Someone who is able to elicit participation and
support from individuals and groups.
- A high level of oral and written communications skills.
- A strategic and creative thinker with strong analytical
- The ability to work collaboratively and collegially with
diverse groups of individuals.
- While this position may be based primarily in either Ottawa, KS
or Surprise, AZ travel and regular interaction with each
residential and all adult campuses is expected.
For more information, please review the
Position Profile. If the direct link doesn’t
work in this advertisement, please go to our website at https://eflassociates.cbiz.com/
and click on Open Positions and Higher Education.
THE SEARCH FIRM
an executive search firm, is assisting Ottawa
University with its search for this important leadership
position. All calls and inquiries should be made through the
search firm. Nominations and applications will be held in strict
confidence and candidates will remain confidential until the final
stage of the search, at which time the express permission of
finalists will be obtained before making their candidacy
- Application deadline is August 25, 2021
- Semi-Finalist Interviews are tentatively scheduled for
September 16-17, 2021
- Campus Interviews are tentatively scheduled for late September
- The desired start date is November 2021, but is negotiable
Steve Waldron, JD
VP & Managing Director, Higher Education Practice
APPLICATION QUESTIONS & NOMINATIONS
If you would like to provide a nomination, please email all
pertinent information (including an email address and phone number
of the nominee) to:
Ms. Angela Lilje
Practice & Project Manager, Higher Education Practice
Ottawa University does not discriminate on the basis of age,
color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or
ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex
(including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and
family and genetic information, in its programs and activities as
required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the
Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, Section 504 of
the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Titles VI and VII of the Civil
Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and other
applicable statutes and University policies. Ottawa University
prohibits sexual and gender-based harassment, including sexual
assault, and other forms of interpersonal violence.