Facilities Management's Recycling department welcomes applications for this position! The position sets up, maintains and collects all types of recyclable, compostable and other materials from central sites on the entire campus via specified routes to ensure materials are diverted into the proper streams. Position will be responsible for ensuring proper signage, stickers and grade sheets are available to help prevent contamination at each site and will maintain records of materials collected at each site. The incumbent will work on a crew with two other employees, and operate a ¾ ton box van to transport materials once collected from facilities. Position also sets up drop off sites, maintains and cleans recycling equipment, maintains facility, and performs special pick-ups. This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shift during emergency campus closures to assist with getting the campus re-opened.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Facilities Management's Recycling department collects over 1000 tons of recyclables per year and over 2000 tons of trash from the academic and research buildings on the CU Boulder campus. Currently, the campus diversion rate is approximately 42% (the amount of waste that is diverted from the landfill and is either reused, recycled, or composted). Our goal is to reach a 90% diversion rate by the year 2020.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Setup and collection of materials from campus either via designated routes or special collections:
- Identify acceptable and non-acceptable materials for recycling and instruct personnel in the area on how to recycle properly and report issues to supervisor or lead worker.
- Notifies lead worker the need for special pickups of recyclables based on personal observations and verify verbal requests from building users, for additional pickups and proceed with collections.
- Provide pick-ups and deliveries of recycling items across campus. Maintain records of pick-ups on route sheets.
- Assist in training new employees on route via proper procedures, guidelines, and safety protocols.
- Notifies supervisor or lead worker of safety incidents, near misses and all potential hazards. Maintains safe work practices, participates In department safety meetings, and completes all assigned training.
Maintain Central Collection Sites, Enclosures, and Cabinets:
- Assess and determine the need to replace or repair old or broken recycling containers then follow through by replacing or repairing the containers.
- Clean enclosures every other week (more frequently if requested). Clean cabinets at least once per month (and as requested).
- Recycling bins and cabinets can un-expectantly break and must be repaired or replaced. Position replaces broken carts and informs supervisor if more major repairs are needed.
- Maintain route records by recording amounts of all recyclables collected. Maintain simple fuel, travel, and mileage records as well as vehicle inspection sheets.
- Note when daily route sheets are missing certain stops on the route. The position must write them in and inform the supervisor to make the change on the route sheet. The position must also write in any special pickups from areas as requested/scheduled by the supervisor.
Vehicles and Equipment Maintenance:
- Maintain, clean, perform minor inspections, check fluid levels, and lubricate equipment and vehicles.
What You Should Know
The applicant must be able to pass the Criminal and Motor Vehicle background check.
What We Can Offer
Starting Salary is $32,482.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Adaptable. Be Proactive. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Must be a current Colorado resident in order to apply.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience operating ¾ - 1-ton vehicles and be able to operate minor hydraulic equipment (lift gates, pallet jack, recycling/trash compactors).
- The tasks performed do not require any specific previous education or experience. However, mechanical aptitude and a willingness to learn are required.
- This class requires the individual to perform physical work involving general tasks including hauling, lifting, and moving.
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills (works well with others, professional when dealing with customers).
- Basic computer skills.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
a. Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy to Recruiting@Colorado.Edu (mailto:Recruiting@Colorado.Edu) or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are applying.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by August 1, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs .
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com