Web Development Manager (11348)
The Manager of Web Development is responsible for planning and managing activities and projects that support the university’s web services primarily focused on public facing web services, including web content management, digital marketing, web analytics, video encoding and streaming, blogs, search appliance, and selected portal based services. Provides leadership and direction in planning, developing, and maintaining the university’s web environment. Responsible for the exploration, implementation, testing, and maintenance of new technology. Directs solutions to functional and technical problems. Supervises a team of web developers and analysts, and coordinates activities with other technical and functional resources, including system analysts, project managers, system engineers, SharePoint/.Net developers, web publishers, designers, and content editors.
1. (20% of Time): Participate in the development of strategic and tactical plans to facilitate and coordinate the delivery of web services. Coordinates, develops, and implements project plans to deliver these services.
2. (30% of Time): Lead the design, development, customization and integration of web applications within the University’s web content management system, selected web portal applications, and other systems to support the online needs of the University. Ensures that all work product developed is maintainable, configurable, and that all processes are well-documented.
3. (20% of Time): Supervise web developers, provide leadership, mentoring and guidance as well as performance evaluation. Ensure team’s adherence to enterprise standards and processes and seek opportunities to develop staff to ensure a high performing team.
4. (20% of Time): Provide leadership for project related business needs analysis, technical approach and feasibility, project planning and implementation.
5. (10% of Time): Manage maintenance and enhancement of existing web applications for additional features, architectural improvements, web application security best-practices and operational excellence. Provide technical support to University web content managers.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Function Leader B
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Human-Computer Interaction, or related field, or equivalent in education, training and experience is required.
- At least 10 years progressively responsible experience including creating web strategy, integrating complex systems utilizing web services, building or designing solutions for web based technology, working with cross functional teams, and leading large scale implementations projects is required.
- A thorough knowledge of current web innovations, technologies and best practices in web design, usability and accessibility, and web application security concepts, and web services (XML and XLST) are required.
- Candidates must also have an understanding of web environments in large IT organizations and demonstrated knowledge of information architecture principles and user-centered design principles, and be able to create and maintain articulate, structured technical documentation.
- Practical experience with agile project lifecycles and methodologies (eg SCRUM), source code management, and code reviews are essential.
- Experience managing and motivating team members, coupled with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team in a collaborative environment and a commitment to customer service in a diverse population are necessary.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- This position will not include the luxury of having tunnel vision for any one area; rather, this individual will need to exhibit excellent judgment on how to prioritize between focusing on existing versus new applications and between features, architectural improvements, and operational excellence.
- A self-starter who insists on creating innovative solutions and has the ability to practically apply best-practice web technologies to meet business objectives will succeed in this role.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Instructional Technology & Design (Campus) Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.