Groundskeeper (2 positions)
Job Summary/Basic Function
This is semi-skilled work in the care of the grounds of a state institution, facility, or public building. Work involves responsibility for the appearance and general care of the University grounds and athletic fields and may include seasonal lead work of a small group of employees or resident helpers engaged in cleaning and other simple grounds keeping activities. Work involves considerable physical and manual labor throughout the year exposed to the elements.
Annual salary $27,873.00, plus comprehensive benefits including tuition waiver for self and dependents.
The State System Employee Benefits Summary can be found at https://www.passhe.edu/inside/HR/syshr/Benefit_Summaries/PEBTF_Summary.pdf
* One year of experience in ground keeping trade.
* Knowledge and experience in care and maintenance of lawns, plants, trees, etc.
* Knowledge of:
• Recycling practices and methods
• Herbicide, insecticide, and pesticide applications procedures
• Common occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade
* Ability to:
• Safely operate motorized vehicles and equipment
• Maintain and make ordinary repairs to machinery, equipment, and improvements to grounds, athletic fields, roadways, parking lots, and sidewalks
• Work in adverse weather conditions
• Perform strenuous manual labor
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing
* Basic PC skills
* Ability to work with students, staff, and visitors of diverse cultures, racial and ethnic groups.
* Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Demonstrated strong analytical and excellent problem-solving skills.
* Ability to work independently and in coordination with others.
* Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
* Valid driver’s license.
* Successful interview.
* Successful completion of three background checks and pre-employment physical.
* Experience equipment operator
* Active PA pesticide license
* Current CDL driver’s license
* Graduation from relevant technical trade school or degree in related field
* Knowledge in maintaining athletic fields and equipment
* Experience working in a higher education environment
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is designated an essential employee position. Employee is expected to report to work during their designated shift during emergency situations, university closures or delays. Work performed during these events will require duties typically outside normal job duties and functions.
Must attain State certification as a pesticide applicator within one year of hire and maintain proficiency.
Must possess valid Driver’s License.