Career Advisor, Media and Communications
University Code 35211 University Title Student Advisor 1 University Job Family Student Services ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Single Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Career Advisor, Media and Communications Position Number FAA040 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Non-Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department VCU Career Services Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Career Advisors provide career advising services to students and alumni up to one year after graduation. Career Advisors educate students and eligible alumni on all aspects of the career development process by providing one-on-one advising appointments, drop-ins, as well as group programs in collaboration with campus partners, employers, and students. The primary responsibilities of this role include career advising, program development, and delivery (including teaching 1-credit career development courses), relationship development and management, and program management, along with administrative duties.
This Career Advisor role has a specialized focus on Media & Communications, including working with students across majors and serving as a liaison to the Robertson School of Media & Culture and the Department of English within VCU’s College of Humanities & Sciences. The Career Advisor will advise students/eligible alumni on resources, strategies, and relevant opportunities related to their industry areas. All career advisors have a specialty area and also serve as generalists. The position will report to the Senior Assistant Director for Arts, Design, and Entrepreneurship, and serve as a member of the internal advising team.
All members of the VCU Career Services team regularly engage in professional development, including in-house and external training and conference opportunities. Minimum Hiring Standards
● Master’s degree with an emphasis on counseling, student affairs, higher education, communications, marketing, media studies, or related field.
● 1-3 years of experience in higher education, recruitment, or related field; relevant graduate assistantships and internships would be considered.
● Exceptional communication skills (written, oral, presentation). Demonstrated proficiency in designing and delivering presentations.
● Project and program management skills.
● Ability to embrace change and to organize and effectively manage multiple priorities, programs, and projects; time management skills.
● Demonstrated experience developing positive relationships and partnerships.
● Ability to collaborate cross-functionally in the office environment and to interface with employers, students, alumni, faculty, and university administrators.
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU . Preferred Hiring Standards
● Experience providing advising on career and academic development to students and/or young professionals.
● Ability to use relevant database systems, (e.g. Handshake, Symplicity, Microsoft Excel)
● Ability to assess and report student learning and program outcomes. Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Up to $40,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours M-F Job Open Date 07/07/2021 Posting will close on or before 08/01/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107629 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Will you have completed a Master’s degree with an emphasis on
counseling, student affairs, higher education or related field by
September 1, 2021?
Do you have 1-3 years of experience in higher education,
recruitment, or related field; relevant graduate assistantships and
internships will be considered.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Career Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Counseling Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond